State honors DHS for school safety campaigns

Staff Report

The state has honored DHS with its “2016 Challenge to Educational Citizenship Award” in recognition of the school’s campaigns promoting school safety.
In the fall, the school joined with Sandy Hook Promise to initiate the “Say Something” and “Start with Hello” campaigns that focus on preventing violence, suicide and fear-inducing threats. Gov. Dannel Malloy stopped by the school in the fall to acknowledge the campaigns.
“Say Something” instructs students in grades 6-12 how to look for warning signs, signals and threats, particularly in social media, from an individual who may be threatening to hurt themselves or others and to say something to a trusted adult to get help.
Sandy Hook Promise is led by several family members whose loved ones were killed in a mass shooting at a Newtown elementary school in December 2012.
As part of the program, students in the Peer Leadership class, under the guidance of teacher Susan Schullery, led “Say Something” activities at elementary schools with the help of 30 volunteers from Jericho Partnership, a Danbury organization dedicated to serving the at-risk community.
“Start with Hello,” which began in late January, addresses social isolation, a growing epidemic in our schools and across the country and refers to the overwhelming feeling of being left out, lonely and treated as being invisible.
Research supports that excessive feelings of isolation can be associated with violent and suicidal behavior. This program teaches students in grades 2-12 skills necessary to reach out and include those who may be dealing with chronic isolation. It empowers students to create a culture of inclusion and connectedness within their school.
Superintendent Sal Pascarella encouraged implementation of the programs at schools across Connecticut. School districts were also invited to join statewide Call-to-Action weeks where schools from all over the country come together to educate students and communities.
The programs are easy to implement through flexible classroom format, school assembly or by student ambassadors. The programs can also be incorporated into an existing student club or by creating a new club that focuses on community kindness and safety.
Schools will have access to ongoing SHP trainings and digital access to programs, resources and materials.