Students advocate for high-school reform

Abby Martinez, Staff Writer

Senior Kate Jakobson and junior Amy Dave were chosen to speak in Hartford on behalf of a resolution on high school reform. Principal Dan Donovan had recruited Jakobson and Dave.

“I have a genuine interest in the issues we’re talking about and the outcomes we’re looking for,” Jakobson said in explaining why she accepted Donovan’s invitation. “I was highly motivated when it came to pursuing the project and collecting information for my speech.”

The lobbying is focused on reforming Connecticut high schools to better suit the changing needs of students in the 21st century. They testified on behalf of the Connecticut Association of Public School Superintendents.

“As a group, we decided on a couple resolution that we felt would best benefit school districts. From there we are working to amend the resolutions before we present them to the education commissioner and legislature to focus on and enact in the upcoming legislative session,” Jakobson said.

A few resolutions they are trying to pass are equitable learning environments, which includes the encouragement towards mastery based learning, restructuring teacher requirements and the removal of mandatory Carnegie units. All things that DHS as well as other school districts around the area feel would highly benefit any school.

The process of actually being able to get their resolutions passed will be a process. And it is unknown of how long it will actually take to pass one considering they first have to get it presented by the legislature.

The overall process takes longer than anyone may think. “This could take up until the end of the school year,” Jakobson said.

Both Dave and Jakobson were assigned to  present their ideas to all the other districts around them.

Dave found the task a challenge. “I was the last one to speak,” she said. “While I waited for my turn I was nervous while I looked out at all the people from the different districts. I was afraid that I might mess up or that my speech might be too repetitive; however, when it was my turn to speak and I got to the podium I was able to clearly express my ideas.

Jakobson describes her experience more “rewarding” than anything.

“I have worked so hard over these past months on trying to be a part of something that can change schools for the better.,” she said. “And being able to know that change will come is so rewarding.”

Many meetings are soon to come. They have already been to Hartford twice.

Dave and Jakobson said they are loving what they are doing. They find it “eye opening” and it’s very “motivating seeing what just a few students can do with motivation and willingness,” Dave said.