Editorial: In the same night, cultures and achievements are celebrated

One of the solo acts that entertained the audience at the Latino Clubs International Night.

Staff Photo

One of the solo acts that entertained the audience at the Latino Club’s International Night.

Our English as a Second Language department continues to work hard to help students who are learning English to assimilate into the DHS community.

Recently, the department, along with the school’s Latino Club, put on a night to remember for many ESL students and their families.

First, the department celebrated the scholastic achievements of more than 70 ESL students. In the second annual ESL Academic Achievement Awards, ESL Department Head Stacey Brugnolo and fellow teachers bestowed certificates to those who had achieved a 3.0 or higher GPA in their studies.

In addition to Brugnolo’s words of praise, students and their families heard laudatory remarks from teachers Antonio Abrantes, Soraya Bilbao, John Galvao, Katrina Niez, Lesley Hankin-Williams, and Huidong Zhu.

All in all, it was a grand night. It was a chance to show our ESL students and families that, in this particular age of anxiety, they are welcomed here, they are valued here, and they are respected here.

Families and friends gathered in the auditorium as Principal Dan Donovan and Associate Principal Meghan Martins cheered on each student as they were recognized.

Afterward, parents came forward to shake hands with administrators and teachers, and proud students posed with their certificates for pictures.

Meanwhile, members of the Latino Club and other volunteers readied the cafeteria for Act II of the night – the second annual International Night.

Last year the club put together a Latino Night, but this year for inclusivity sake changed the name to International Night.

The cafeteria filled with aromas of incredible food dishes. Festival-goers were greeted by sights, sounds and aromas of a Caribbean street fair.

The evening kicked off with a parade of flags from all over the world, representing the more than 40 languages spoken in DHS.

Flawlessly hosted by ESL teacher Jose Rojas and members of the Latino Club, those in attendance were treated to not only delectable cultural delights, but also a musical performance by the “Once on this Island” cast and numerous solo acts and a skit.