UN club forms to discuss world issues.

Joao Da Sa

Kayla Downs and Roshni Vasudevan are the student leaders of the Model UN club.

Joao de Sa, Leslie Mendez

When Anthony Steady hired on this fall as a social studies teacher, he was surprised to see that the school didn’t have a Model United Nations Club.

Steady, a newly hired social studies teacher, along with students Kayla Downs, junior, and Roshni Vasudevan, sophomore, introduced the Model United Nations Club to DHS.

The club involves debates and discussions about world issues and subjects.

Their meetings — held every Thursday in room D382 — are based off of debates, votes, and alliances that would show how other countries would come together to cooperatively bring solutions to our problems.

Steady was surprised that DHS did not already have a chapter of the club and worked with Downs and Vasudevan to quickly come up with a “game plan” to secure one.

“The club is important at any time, at all times,” said Steady, who was part of a chapter when he was in high school.

Advising the club means a lot to him because it has students thinking critically about global issues and ways to creatively and cooperatively solve them.

Downs said the club and its activities become “more and more relevant as the world grows more and is more connected.”

“I want this club to go miles above,” Vasudevan said.

Impassioned and hopeful, Vasudevan shares her dreams with Downs, who also has high aims for the chapter.

She aspires to take DHS’ chapter to nationals and hopes that in the future, the club will venture out into interscholastic conferences and larger-scale meets such as the one being held at Yale in November.

She is optimistic, however, hoping students in the future will realize the club’s importance— perhaps even its necessity — and carry on their legacy.

Steady describes the club in two words: “global citizenship,” which is one of the qualities the club instills.

Co-founder, Downs added: “It is my belief that it is students like those in this club who will be leading our country and world one day.”