Counselors host college admissions officers

Students, parents gather tips on applications

College admissions officials spoke with parents and students at a recent admissions event hosted by the school's counselors.

Courtesy of Karen Chance

Courtesy of Karen Chance

Abigail Craig, Staff Writer

College admissions officials told Danbury parents and students that it is OK to be unsure of what to major in during the first year or so of college. “College is not where you start the rest of your life; it is where you begin to decide the rest of your life,” said Jorge Osario Jr. of Western Connecticut State University.

Osario was among several admissions officers who gathered in the auditorium Sept. 24 to offer college advice to the DHS community. The school’s counselors hosted the event.

In total there were five state colleges at the event, including UConn, WestConn, Eastern, Naugatuck, and Quinnipiac.
The most commonly discussed information at the event was SAT and ACT testing scores as well as what each school expects from a student in their college applications.

Parents and students gathered in the auditorium to hear from college admissions officers. The event was arranged by DHS counselors. The College and Vocational School Fair is scheduled Oct. 15 at Danbury Fair Mall. (Courtesy of Karen Chance)

Both UConn and Eastern officers made it clear that they recommend at least two letters of recommendation not only from a teacher, but also from a coach or other person outside of the classroom.

“We require at least two letters of recommendation from a teacher or coach,” said Taylor Hammond, assistant director of Admissions at Eastern Connecticut.

Every school is different. Therefore, each school is accepting applications at different times. Both Eastern and Western are “rolling admissions” schools. Meanwhile, Quinnipiac strongly suggests applying early.

“Earlier is always better. Never wait for a deadline,” said Paul Krsiak, admissions officer.

In addition, Naugatuck is “Enrolling all the way until classes start,” stated Scott Farrell, assistant director of Admissions.
“I enjoyed getting to hear each school speak in person so that people had the chance to ask any questions,” said senior Jordan Madaus.

For more information or guidance on colleges that you may want to attend in the future, the school is also hosting its annual College and Vocational School Fair on October 15 at the Danbury Fair Mall. More than 200 colleges will be represented.

About the Writer
Abigail Craig, Staff Writer

My family has always had a background in writing. My grandma enjoyed writing and wrote mainly as a hobby. My aunt also is a talented author who has been published in several literary magazines. Therefore, when I told my parents that I enjoyed writing, they were not at all surprised. I chose to write for the “Hatters’ Herald” newspaper mainly because I want to dive deeper into my passion for writing. I want to experience and explore my literary skills within the writing world. Also, writing for big school events is new and exciting to me. I am excited to work on my photography skills as well, because I have always been interested in the art of photography.