Breaking News

The influence of famous personalities on the independence of the media and journalists.

Photo creds: Linked In

Influencers are increasingly taking over social media and news outlets. According to a recent report done by the Britain-based Reuters institute, 55% of Tik Tok and snapchat users get their news from personalities compared to the 33-42% that gets their news from professional journalism reports. 

Press freedom says “The figures were based on interviews with some 94,000 people across 46 countries, conducted for the Reuters Institute for the Study of Journalism, part of Britain’s University of Oxford.” 

While this may not seem like a big problem, it very much is. As more teenagers continue to get their news from unreliable sources such as tiktok they are putting news outlets in danger of going corrupt. As Tik Tok influences continue to use their platforms to spread bias and unethical reports to teenagers we are altering their understanding of what is actually going on in the world.

So ultimately society needs to put their energy into promoting reliable news sources and convincing the younger generation to learn more about current events going on our planet. If as a community nothing is done to fix these everlasting issues, it will become more evident that society is going backwards rather than working towards becoming better.