Special Education Department holds College/Career Night

Jazzlyn Torres

A representative from Lincoln College provides information to students r

Jazzlyn Torres, Staff Writer

Students enrolled in special education, and their families, joined together in the auditorium to hear about post-high school options during the Special Education College/Career Night event.

Admission representatives from Connecticut colleges, cosmetology schools and the Job Corps set up tables to provide information to students about their schools and the support services they can provide.

Alison Cheung, a Special Education teacher, explained the importance of this night, held Nov. 7, and how it helps the students advocate for themselves.

“They are able to see what the colleges say, ask for help and learn how to apply,” said Cheung, who helped coordinate the evening with Dawn Ballard, special education counselor.

She explained that “one of the biggest challenges of moving on to college is becoming more independent and no longer relying on their parents or guidance counselors.”

However, many of the institutions — including Southern Connecticut State University, Porter and Chester Institute, Mitchell College, Western Connecticut State University, Naugatuck Valley, Lincoln College, and Post University — all provide accommodations such as medical care and many tutoring services.

“These colleges are excellent,” Cheung said. “Laws are more strict and now people are embracing people who are differently abled.”

Many colleges are offering extra services to better the learning experience of the students. Lincoln College, for example, provides students with free tutor services, a free shuttle that takes them wherever they want, and their own mentor who helps them weekly.

Still, students will have to adapt from the many support services provided at the high school to being more independent, Cheung said. “They will need to go on their own to their professors and ask,” she said.

Cheryl Panosian-Haddad, a Western Connecticut State University representative, then explained the process of receiving the extra help that the student needs. “Students would need to go to the administrative office and discuss their needs and we’d then talk to the professors to let them know.”

They will still be assisted yet able to be more on their own.

The Paul Mitchell Cosmetology School representative, Nancy Almonte, when discussing their benefits of helping the students stated, “We are one big family, we support each other always.”

The Special Education Department’s first College/Career Night was held three years ago, and Cheung said it has grown. She said the department surveys the participants at the end of each year’s event to help plan for the following year.

“When we first started there was only four colleges,” she said. “However. this year we have 11 institutions of higher learning. This event changes the life of many students.”