Burton tops cagers with points, rebounds & blocks

Peter McClelland

Denali Burton tries to drive on William Antrum

Hisham Rushaidat, Sports Writer

He may just be a sophomore, but Denali Burton is playing like a seasoned veteran for the boys’ varsity basketball team.

Coach Casey Bock said that, “‘Denali is a talented player that has a lot of potential.”

Burton is leading the team in points (130), rebounds (68) and blocks (11), helping to lead the Hatters to a 12-5 overall record and an 8-4 division record. The team is well on its way to earning a berth in the FCIAC playoffs, thanks in large part to Burton’s aggressive play.

Basketball has been in my life ever since I started walking,” said Burton, a 6-4 forward. “I would dribble the ball. As soon as I moved out here I started to take ball seriously and played AAU.”

He added, “Basketball is the biggest part of my daily life. It’s on my mind 24/7.”

Burton said he hopes his high-school career on the hardcourt will lead to a college scholarship to play ball, and like many players he has visions of making it to the pros.

Talent, skill and strength are attributes a team should possess to win, but victories only come when there’s chemistry between the players and coach.

Burton explained that, “Our basketball team is very close. We hang out with each other out of the basketball world.”

Talking about personal goals, Burton said he’s determined to get a triple double during a game — double-digit points, rebounds and blocks.

As far as his team-leading ways in points, rebounds and blocks, Burton credits his teammates and Bock.

“I’ve been able to score as many points as I have this season because coach calls out great plays,” he said, “and then my teammates and I execute the plays how we’re supposed to.”

On the offensive end, that often means teammates are feeding the ball to Burton.

“There isn’t any individualism and we all play for each other,” Burton said. “We give 100 percent effort every time we step on the court.”

Many of the assists have come from the hand of guard Javon Hernandez, who leads the team in assists with 26.

He said the highlight of the season for him so far was the 63-49 win over rival Ridgefield on Jan. 10. That night, he scored 15 points, also having 5 rebounds and 2 assists to his name.

“I was able to effect the game both ways and got a great win against our rival,” he said.