Alan Rickman: an appreciation

Christine Cardamone, Staff Writer

Our hearts are heavy with mourning and grief upon hearing of the passing of Alan Rickman. Rickman, who had been suffering from cancer, died at age 69 on Jan. 14.

When we heard the news of Alan Rickman’s death in journalism class, the tone of the conversation went from sad to celebratory.

Yes, celebratory. We quickly refocused on his life, and what he brought to us in his wickedly good performances as Professor Snape in the Harry Potter movie series.

We all grew up with the books and the movies, and it’s hard for us to say goodbye to celebrities who have had some meaning in our childhood. Rickman, as Snape, had that kind of presence for many of us.

Our parents loved him for his scene-stealing turn as villain Hans Gruber in Die Hard (what a death scene!) and as the confused, middle-aged crazy husband in Love Actually.

But it’s his work in Harry Potter that our generation so greatly appreciates. Who could forget in The Deathly Hallows when J.K. Rowling reveals the love and protection Snape kept secret for Lilly and Harry, where the famous lines “After all this time?” “Always” originates.

Daniel Radcliff, who appeared with Rickman in the productions of Harry Potter, paid tribute to his co-star, saying, “Film sets and theatre stages are all far poorer for the loss of this great actor and man.”

Rickman’s legacy will not be forgotten. He was a kind-hearted man and a magnificent actor.