‘Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness’ will be a new chapter for the MCU

Jaelly Cueva, Staff Writer

Main Cast:

Benedict Cumberbatch (Doctor Strange), Eliza Olsen (Scarlet Witch), Patrick Stewart (Professor X), Xochitlf Gomez (America Chavez)

The Doctor Strange Sequel is finally coming out and fans are very excited about it. This sequel has been hyped up by fans of the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU). People are most excited to see how this sequel will be the introduction of a new chapter of the MCU. The sequel will put together plot lines from Loki, Wanda-Vision, and Spider-Man: No way Home, building a storyline that could potentially be more massive than Avengers: Endgame, according to Collider.

So far, two trailers have been released on the Marvel Entertainment youtube page, The first one was released last year on Dec. 22 and the second one came out during Super Bowl 2022, revealing a very significant appearance that features someone who appears to be Patrick Stewart replaying his role as Professor Charles Xavier from the Fox X-Men movies.

According to Empire, Cumberbatch told them that it is expected to reach a similar level of success as Tom Holland’s third Spider-Man film released back in December and becoming the sixth highest-grossing film of all time at the box office according to the NME British magazine.

The movie is currently scheduled to premiere on May 6, 2022, in the United States, even though it was originally set for release on May 7, 2021, but because of the Covid-19 pandemic, those plans for release were pushed down.

This sequel will be directed by Sam Raimi, who is famously known to direct Spider-Man 1,2, and 3, and written by Jade Barlett and Michael Waldron, one of the writers of the Loki series.

There have been a lot of speculations from the two trailers released, which will confuse people,  especially those who haven’t seen the animated marvel series What If…? And Loki as these two are a focusing theme in this sequel. 

It is rumored that actor Tom Henderson, who plays Loki, will appear in the sequel but nothing has been confirmed.

Benedict Wong (Wong), Rachel McAdams (Christine Palmer), and Chiwetel Ejiofor (Baron Mordo) will reprise their roles from 2016’s Doctor Strange and will introduce Elizabeth Olsen’s Scarlett Witch character after the Wanda-Vision series. 

It is suspected that actors, Julian Hilliard and Jet Klyne who play the Scarlet Witch’s twins in the Wanda-Vision series to appear in the sequel as they were seen on set and had an appearance in the second trailer of the sequel. 

Actress Xochitl Gomez will play the role of America Chavez in the film, being the first appearance of this superhero in this new path of the MCU. This new teen superhero was supposed to be introduced first in Spider-man: No way Home where she was set to play the sorcerer’s apprentice role required to assist Peter Parker.

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness was set to be released before Spider-Man: No way Home, but because of the shift in dates, screenwriters Erick Sommers and Chris McKenna were forced to cut Chavez’s role in the movie, preserving her MCU introduction in the Doctor Strange sequel, ultimately replacing her role with Peter Parker’s best friend, Ned.

This sequel will not only give us a new superhero joining the MCU, but three other more, that are just as exciting as the rest. The first one to be the appearance of Captain Carter from the What if..? series, as there was a scene in one of the trailers that shows the silhouette with a very similar uniform as the one Captain America wears and a shield identical to the one Captain Carter carries in the series. The next one is Superior Iron Man, who is alleged to be played by Tom Cruise, but has yet to be confirmed. This Iron Man will be a variant of Tony Stark in Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness. And finally, the introduction of one of the original X-men into the MCU, Professor Charles Xavier, who was last seen in the Logan 2017 movie. Even though he was announced dead in the film, Professor X is coming back and will be the first X-men to appear in the MCU, giving hope to a lot of fans of both sides to finally see the X-men and Avengers working together.