Breaking News

The Danbury Hatters Hooters take on the student section

Jordan Bido

Part of Danbury High School’s legacy is its students. One notable aspect of the Danbury Hatters is that they never fail to come out in support of each other. So much so that students have taken it upon themselves to create a unique group led by a few dedicated students to cheer at sports events – they call themselves the Hatter Hooters.

The Hatter Hooters are led by a group of five senior students elected from the previous year’s graduating captains, ensuring the legacy continues year after year. The class of 2024 captains appointed by the 2023 captains are Dominic Normand, Jack Halas, Jesse Defonce, Matt Morehouse, and Sarah Silva. These students make sure that their peers know about the upcoming sports events, whether it’s football, basketball, soccer, or other sports. They assign fascinating themes for these events to make them as memorable as possible. As Dominic Normand said, it’s about the “mindset and supporting classmates and their hard work,” at the end of the day, it’s “one cause.”

Not only do students benefit from the thrilling experience, but so do the athletes. According to basketball captains Nez Perkins and Cameron Perkins, because of the Hatter Hooters, they get the opportunity to “feel the energy” and “the love.” Last season when they took home the FCIACS championship, Cam confessed that it “felt good knowing everyone was there rooting for us.” The effects of the Hooters ripple through sports, including football. Football captain Jayden Leroy explains how it helps them on the field knowing that their peers are supporting them. “It’s a big deal for us,” he stated. Another football captain, Brayden Boswell, says that with the Hatter Hooters present, the team feels “more energized.”

The Hatter Hooters will be a tradition that passes down year after year. It is the Hooter Captains’ job to encourage the upcoming Hatters to “support our peers” and remind them that “any team is important,” as Sarah Silva said. It is also about bringing the spirit (as Matt Morehouse said) and “making our school look better” (Jack Halas). The Hatter Hooters do far more than just create memorable experiences and offer a way for all students to get involved in supporting one another. They ensure that a sense of family among peers is created. As football captain Bear Schoenberg said it best: “it is a community”.