School readies for Freshman Orientation

Teachers may distribute electives information

Shannon Ahearn

Freshman Academy Principal Dan Donovan

Renee Cunningham, Staff Writer

This year the school will change up its Freshman Orientation by moving it up much earlier in the calendar — Feb. 22 — and by allowing teachers of electives to hand out information on their classes.

Freshmen don’t take electives, but Freshman Academy Principal Dan Donovan, who runs the orientation, said it doesn’t hurt to familiarize them with course offerings down the road.

When teachers first heard the news, they thought this meant a change in policy. Years ago, teachers of electives could actively recruit students and promote their courses. They were allowed to visit core classes and pitch the course — whether it be journalism, military science, or speech arts.

When Robert Rossi became principal several years ago, however, he did away with that practice as he began the process of of dismantling many of the high school’s elective offerings.

Donovan, however, stresses there is no change in that policy. Teachers are not allowed to recruit, but will be allowed at the orientation to set up tables and hand out fliers or pamphlets that explain their course.

Donovan, who will move to the Main Office as principal next year, is also encouraging clubs to set up tables so members can hand out information to the 8th graders.

Kim Russell, a choral and piano teacher, said that the concept is a neat idea.

“We have so much to offer,” she says. “It’s easy to miss it because if you don’t know somebody in a club or class, you probably don’t know about it.”

The policy changed before Russell started working at DHS, so this will be the first year she will have the ability to promote her electives.

Susan Schullery, business teacher, said Freshman Orientation is a great idea.

She says that it gives parents the opportunity to ask questions about the individual classes, and that “there’s so much to offer” at the high school.

The orientation used to be held during final exams week at the end of the year. School would dismiss at 11:30, allowing the middle schoolers to be bused up to DHS for orientation in the afternoon. Since there are no more finals at DHS, Donovan had to figure out a different approach.

Peer Leaders will be on hand to give the 8th-graders a tour of the school.

Donovan said he sees this as an opportunity to put the school’s peer leaders and students in front, and adds that the kids will have a great interaction.

Further, he believes that the staff will do a great job with the event.

He states, “Knowing our staff, they’re going to hit a homerun with this.”

The orientation will not take away from the school day as it will be held from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m., allowing parents and guardians to attend.

“I want people to promote,” Donovan says, “so kids can be excited.”