Breaking News

Gun violence: a conversation with Mr. Williams

“You can’t take my guns” a white supremacist yells at the January 6th insurrection on the Capitol. Gun legislation has become a hot topic of debate in America, where the 2nd Amendment has become more of a rallying cry for right-wing Republicans than a part of the Bill of Rights. In America, mass shootings have been an occurrence since the beginning of the 1900s, and they have been a prevailing issue that has not been resolved. Many movements and organizations have gained traction in support of gun control legislation. While others deny that anything is wrong with gun legislation in this country.

According to Wikipedia, mass shootings are incidents involving multiple victims of firearm-related violence. These incidents have happened because of the lack of control over firearms in this country. America is the only country where mass shootings happen at such a high rate that other countries can’t comprehend how change has not been made. ABC News reports that the majority of shootings happen in the workplace, so how does this affect teachers? School shootings have become so prevalent that it has become a decisive topic surrounding the idea of arming teachers. To consult and get a teacher’s perspective on the situation regarding the history of gun legislation and mass shootings in America, I spoke with Mr. Williams, an AP U.S. History and Intro to Psychology teacher.

He reiterates that the 2nd Amendment was created to protect guns, just as British legislation was created to take away guns from American colonists. When asked about the broad interpretation of the 2nd Amendment, he says “I agree with the interpretation that you are allowed to own a gun, do you have to go through a background check the government is allowed to do that, yes.” Though he does not think the 2nd Amendment should be amended further since it would be a “much more tedious task” than having a Supreme Court case. 

When asked about the incident at DHS only 2 years ago where an individual brought and lit firecrackers in the D3 bathrooms, she recalls his experience vividly. “To see the look on the dozen or so students standing against the wall was terrifying; to see the look on their faces was terrifying.” He mentions the protective instinct that he had at that moment. “I care far more about [students] safety than my own.” He adds that knowing the “context is important,” and as America has seen, there is a very real possibility that this could be real.

Williams reiterates a sentiment that many people share. “I don’t put my trust in government; I put my trust in people.” As many people wonder what the fate of the US government looks like, it’s hard to be hopeful given how divided our country is. The final question for Williams was simply, “how do you think our government can protect more people?” He replied with an explanation on how bullet legislation and regulations on gun shows could help protect more Americans. Bullet legislation is simply making sure that every bullet which is fired from a gun legally bought in America can be traced back to the person who bought it. While gun shows are a very big loophole in the background check system in America, a firearm bought at a gun show does not require a background check the way a firearm bought at a gun store would. His answers aren’t surprising as 72% of Americans support requiring people to go through a background check before obtaining a firearm. Americans don’t want to continue to see mass shootings and gun deaths every year. Yet with the divide in America’s government splitting everyone into two camps, it might be a while before there is significant change.

In the meantime, politics becomes more divided, and we still watch in horror as more people every year lose their lives to gun violence. It is imperative that Americans become a nuisance to their representatives. Call your local politicians and make sure they know just how much Americans care about gun reform. Waiting for a new generation to handle these problems leads to more violence. Please remember a quote from X Gonzalez, a gun control activist and school shooting survivor: “Treat this like it could happen to you, because it can.”