Soraya Bilbao works on a translation exercise with her ELL students.

Corinne Philbin

ELL teacher creates inspiring project for students

A project unlike any other is being started by ESL students here in DHS. The end result is a full article about a club of the student’s choice, written completely by themselves.

Soraya Bilbao, an ESL teacher, started the inspiring project as part of the students writing portfolios. “I wanted the students to practice the skills of writing and interviewing, but also have them connect and learn about Danbury High School, and the different resources and clubs that we have,” she said.

Bilbao is confident that the project will assist the students in assimilating them into the DHS community. “The project helps everyone else in the community in DHS to get to know some of the ESL students in a different way, as interviewers,” she explained.

Her students could not be more excited and nervous about the project as well. They had the opportunity to choose a club that was meaningful to them. They picked clubs ranging from Health Occupations Students of America to Future Business Leaders of America to Robotics, and were all eager to learn about them.

Yanna Matos, a sophomore from the Dominican Republic, has only been in the United States for less than two years. She chose HOSA because her sister is a part of it.

“At first it’s difficult, because we have to talk to many people,” she said. “I have to learn more English and the project has already helped.”

Alisson Espana, a junior, chose FBLA. “I feel scared because I don’t know too much English, but I will try with the project to learn more. It’s my first time to write an article too,” she said.

Espana has also lived here for only two years, originally from Guatemala. She chose FBLA because she wants to have a career in business.
All of the students explained that the biggest challenge for them going to school here is speaking a whole new language.

“The hardest part is to learn English and the customs from the things that the people do here,” Nelson Neira, a freshman originally from Ecuador, said.

Eleonardo Espinal, a senior who  has lived in the U.S. for less than two years, said, “I don’t see the hardest part here because the Dominican Republic was harder for me. Here, it is a better life with more opportunities.”

Bilbao agrees that being an ESL student is challenging.

“Coming from a different country, things may function differently,” she said. “Becoming familiar with resources and encouraging them to learn about clubs is also a long-term thing. College is always in the back of my mind and supporting them for that.”

The Hatters' Herald • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (0)

All The Hatters' Herald Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *