Breaking News

The importance of a host

Over the years, countless people have watched awards shows such as The Grammys, The Oscars, Peoples Choice, The Golden Globes, and many others. It’s an easy way for celebrities to be acknowledged for their hard work and dedication. These award shows not only recognize their achievements, but also highlight the talent of artists and actors, helping boost their careers. The short time period leading up to these events generates buzz for all celebrities involved as well as creating excitement amongst fans. However, one of the most important aspects of any awards show is the host. 

Evert awards show needs a host who can keep the audience entertained. It is a vital aspect of every show. The host sets the tone for the night with their charisma, humor, and ability to connect with not only the audience in front of them, but also the people watching at home. A host’s main goal is to make everyone feel welcome and comfortable. However, when a host fails to make that happen, it puts a strain on the events itself and the audience. 

This year we have had The Grammys as well as The Golden Globes. Both captured the talent of countless artists and actors. For this year’s Golden Globes, Jo Koy was the host. He is known for being a comedian as well as an actor and was chosen to catch the exciting essence of the night. However, with the little time he had to prepare, Koy made the audience feel uncomfortable with a few of his jokes. The one that caught everyone’s eye was when he compared Barbie to Oppenheimer. 

The main aspect of Barbie was to emphasize the harsh reality of the way women are treated. It highlighted the ways in which women often face a double standard. America Ferrera has been a poster girl for all women in defying the harsh expectations set on girls around the world. When Margot Robbie needed a co-star to deliver a powerful speech on the injustices of women’s lives, America Ferrera was the first to come to mind.  Ferrera’s speech perfectly identifies the ways women can, “never get old, never be rude, never show off, never be selfish, never fall down, never fail, never show fear, never get out of line…It’s contradictory and nobody gives you a medal or says thank you!” 

Jo Koy contradicted the theme of Barbie entirely. He portrayed the movie to be about “a doll with big boobies.” When in reality, he proved the point to why the movie was created in the first place. Jo Koy’s depiction of Barbie as a doll with exaggerated physical features undermined the movie’s intended message of empowering women and breaking stereotypes. He emphasized the pressure society chooses to put on women to live up to unrealistic beauty standards. 

On the other hand, Trevor Noah delivered countless Trevor Noah 2023 Grammys Monologue: Best Moments – The Hollywood Reporterjokes while making each person feel comfortable and welcome. He was able to create an inclusive and enjoyable atmosphere for all through his ability to connect with the audience. Additionally, Trevor was able to leave a lasting impression on everyone in attendance through his charm and charisma on stage. He was able to enhance the overall experience for everyone.