2024 Oscars protest

Stars arriving at the 2024 Oscars were delayed due to a pro-Palestine protest in front of the Dolby Theatre.
GINA FERAZZI/LOS ANGELES TIMES/GETTY IMAGES
Protesters at the 2024 Oscars red carpet

Hundreds, if not more than a thousand, of people gathered to condemn the genocide that is currently happening in Gaza. The protests were an act of solidarity against the violence, oppression, and loss of life in Palestine.

On March 10, protesters marched in a pro-Palestinian demonstration just south of the Dolby Theater, calling for an immediate and permanent ceasefire in Gaza. The rally began at 10:30 AM at the intersection of Sunset and Highland, with people holding signs and chanting to raise awareness for their cause.

Oscar attendees were forced to leave their cars and walk through the protesters who were advocating for Palestine’s freedom. The protesters were very vocal in their message, their goal being to disrupt the Academy Awards by drawing attention to the ongoing humanitarian crisis in Gaza. They wanted to raise awareness of the massacre unfolding and bring an end to the violence 

Mark Ruffalo made a statement as he quickly walked down the red carpet, sporting an Artist4Ceasefire pin. As he rushed, he raised his fist upwards, shouting in support: “It’s starting, we’re late, we’re late, the Palestinian protest shut down the Oscars tonight! Humanity wins!” 

Artists along with Mark Ruffalo, who wore the Artist4Ceasefirere pin to the Oscars in support of the organization’s mission, include Billie Eilish, Ramy Youseff, Finneas O’Connell, and many others. A complete list of artists who support Artist4Ceasefire can be found on their website

The pro-Palestine protest was aimed at disrupting the Oscars and bringing awareness to the cruel events happening in Palestine. The protesters were successful in their goal, as just a few minutes before the awards were supposed to start, the theater was exceptionally empty, with many celebrities hurrying to their seats. 

The protesters passionately declared, “We will honor all our martyrs, all our children, sons, and daughters!”