Will the love of the game be enough?

2024+Hatters+Baseball+Captains+
Jordan Bido
2024 Hatters Baseball Captains

Spring has sprung, and the Danbury Hatters Varsity Baseball team is blooming. This past weekend, the team kicked off its 2024 season with a non-league contest against Manchester High School. The team’s success is largely attributed to the leadership of seniors Luke Ciccone, Charlie Solimine and Matt Morehouse, who play crucial roles in their respective positions. 

Although the lineup is not familiar to most, Danbury continues to showcase their desire to be a significant contender in the FCIAC. The long bus ride to Mt. Nebo Park was worth it as the boys brought home a 5-4 win, making the team 1-0. Great pitching from Charlie Solimine (12 K’s in 5 IP) & Ryan Busse (win – 2 innings of relief). Matt Morehouse led the offense with three hits, Gianni Chieffalo with two hits & Luke Ciccone with two hits/two runs. 

Joe Cianflone and Luke Ciccone (Jordan Bido)

Danbury’s offseason was marked by a significant addition: senior starting outfielder Joe Cianflone. A former student of Immaculate High School in Danbury, Cianflone started all three years. The first scrimmage against his former team was a “unique experience, but my hit in the first inning dispelled any awkwardness.” Having played with several Danbury teammates since Little League, Cianflone seamlessly integrated into the team. In the game against Manchester, his leadoff presence was strong, landing him on base three times. This is just the beginning for number 24. 

The return of four-year starter Luke Ciccone has greatly impacted the newcomers. Ciccone, who will start in the outfield, is described as the “heart of the team” by manager Lexie Naber. Number 5 not only continues to be an asset on the field with his consistent hitting and superb fielding skills, but also has become a leader off the field. “I take pride in making sure the team is well connected. Having good team chemistry in baseball is sometimes overlooked, but that is what has made us great the past two years.” 

Danbury is scheduled to host the Bethel Wildcats at home this Thursday, April 4, at 4 p.m. The team’s season begins with multiple non-league contests to prepare for its matchup against Fairfield Warde on Monday, April 8. 

Facing off against Fairfield Warde, the back-to-back state champions, Danbury is ready to challenge the status quo. Despite being the underdog, the team is fueled by a hunger for a title, making the upcoming game a thrilling prospect. 

May the best team win.