School honors ESL students for academic achievement

Alums tell students to press on

Jenna Coladarci, Staff Writer

Imagine moving to a new country and barely knowing the language. It is inevitable that you would face lots of challenges, especially when it comes to schoolwork.
But, 98 ESL students persevered through those challenges and were able to earn a grade point average of 3.0 or higher. On May 25, the high school recognized the students in a ceremony after school.
Parents, friends, alumni, administrators and teachers gathered in the auditorium to applaud the students. This was the first time DHS held such an event to honor ESL scholars. Certificates were awarded in three areas of achievement:
— 10 students were honored for achieving a GPA of 4.0-4.3
— 43 students were honored for achieving a GPA of 3.5-3.9
— 45 students were honored for achieving a GPA of 3.0-3.4
ESL teachers have worked hard this year to help their students assimilate into the high school, and this was their latest event. Teachers Antonio Abrantes, Soraya Bilbao, Allison Soto, Huidong Zhu, and Jose Rojas presented the certificates.
DHS alumni also attended and shared their success stories. All were ESL students: Layra Valdes and Juan Fonseca, both of whom attend Western Connecticut State University; Brandon Ramos and Edisson Yunga, both of whom attend Naugatuck Community Valley Community College.
These former students shared their own success stories and encouraged the current students to keep their grades up and persevere through obstacles. Students should not allow the disadvantages they face impede their academic goals, they said.