Susan Margolis

Contributed photo

Susan Margolis

Susan Margolis

• How many years have you worked at DHS?

Danbury teaching began in 2003-2004, in Technology Education. At the time, almost every student in the school took a quarter year each of Technology Education, Art, Family and Consumer Science, etc. (much different than our middle school programs today). Teaching about 1,000 students a year was intense and very challenging. I decided to teach at a private school for a year. However, I kept thinking about all my Danbury students and returned ASAP!  Three years at Rogers Park and two at Broadview, brought a transfer to DHS in 2012 , where I’ve been teaching Photography 1 & 2, a year of web design and Sculpture 1 & 2.

• How many years total in education?

I’ve been teaching  Art, and Technology Education since 1998.

• Did you have another career? Details?

Working for 15 years as an industrial designer. As a mom, I wanted to find out what it is that our schools expect students to learn and what it takes for each child to grasp the material. I am still learning.

• What department do you teach in?

Art, and Technology Education.

• What was your favorite course to teach?

We were the recipients for three years of macro camera use, allowing students to get up close and personal with seeds, feathers, flowers and bugs. It was very interesting to help physics students of Mr. Parker on 3D sketching and printing for the Sikorsky Challenge. I’ll always remember Computer Club students: making Fritz, makey-makeys, arduino controls and mind controlled helicopters. I’d have to say that lately, my Sculpture classes have been the most inspiring. Students have a chance to speak, to formulate and make sculptures of their work using different materials.

I just wish we had a sink so that we could work with clay.

• What  is your favorite thing about DHS and why?

I think that the real strength of DHS is the variety of courses offered for students to explore. Teachers are always learning- curricular programs are often in development.

• What are your retirement plans?

As far as retirement plans go, there are too many for a lifetime! In the short-term, a teaching job near my granddaughter at a VT/NH high school offers a chance to develop a Makerspace. In CT, I’d like to sculpt agates & tourmaline, provide 3D printing of medical & dental models & keep learning.

• If you could leave a piece of advice to your fellow teachers what would it be?

For fellow teachers I would hope they’ll remember that they were hired for their knowledge and for their compassion and because they are exceptionally good at what they do. Teachers should trust their perceptions and as someone once said, “Try to be the person you needed when you were younger.”

The Hatters' Herald • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in