DHS bathroom restrictions – What you need to know

Using the restroom. Is it a right or a privilege? Although using the restroom is a basic human need, schools and teachers have determined when we are permitted to do so. However, after we entered high school, some of the weight was lifted. In high school, students are usually given more liberty and trust to manage their restroom breaks. This newfound freedom enables us to be responsible for our own body demands while also teaching us valuable time management and self-regulation skills. However, at Danbury High School, “newfound freedom” and “self-regulation” have been messed with.

Throughout the school year, teachers and staff, such as safety advocates, have seen an increase in the number of students skipping class during the last block. They believed that restricting the use of passes during the fourth block was the only way to address this problem. By restricting passes during this time, teachers and staff hope to discourage students from leaving the building without a valid reason, promoting a more structured and productive school environment.

As for the students, in their minds, they are allowed to use the bathroom when they see fit, as it is a necessity. While this is a popular opinion amongst the students, there are many teachers who see students abusing this power. These teachers argue that some students take advantage of the bathroom pass privilege to socialize or avoid class. Ultimately, finding a balance between allowing necessary bathroom breaks and preventing misuse of passes is crucial for maintaining a positive learning environment. As Ms. Corn, an AP Statistics and Algebra teacher, states, “I feel like if it’s an emergency or someone trustworthy, then they should be able to use the restroom.”

This new regulation will remain in place until further notice. It is the only way to control students who choose to miss class. Teachers hope that by implementing this new regulation, they will be able to discourage students from abusing their bathroom pass privileges and ensure that they use them responsibly. Additionally, this measure will contribute to a more focused and productive classroom environment for all students.

View Comments (1)