Writers strike of 2023 effect on production in 2024

Mario Tama, Getty Images

On May 2nd 2023, The Writers Guild of America, representing 11,500 screenwriters, went on strike until September 27th of 2023 due to labor disputes with the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers. The Writers Guild of America negotiated over pay, increase in streaming residuals, appropriate series-writing compensation for pre and post production, increase in contributions to health care and pensions, and strengthening professional standards. 

Throughout the writers’ strike, countless movies and TV show series were set back. The strike had a long-term significant impact on the entertainment industry. It led to financial issues for both production companies and writers. Shows were forced to either cut their seasons short, or cancel altogether. 

The strike ended on September 27th, 2023 when the WGA and the Alliance of Motion Picture television producers created a new contract. This new contract called for writers to receive a bonus under a new formula. The bonus included high end, streaming-only titles. This new contract was for TV series and films that became huge hits for subscription services like Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Apple TV+, Max, Hulu, and other streamers. 

On July 14th, 2024, the Screen Actors Guild-American Federation of Television and Radio Artists (SAG-AFTRA) began. The SAG-AFTRA represents around 160,000 professionals in the film industry. It speaks for people such as actors, announcers, broadcast journalists, dancers, DJs, writers, editors, program hosts, recording artists, singers, and countless more. The union negotiated a contract to gain better wages and conditions for actors in the industry.

This strike ended on November 13th, of 2023. The strike granted actors an above pattern compensation increase, for the first time ever, a streaming participation incentive, and measures that will prevent actors from the threat of artificial intelligence. 

Now, in 2024, movies as well as television series are still being postponed as an effect of these strikes. Although both strikes are over, over 47 movies and shows have been delayed. The impact of these strikes has been felt in the entertainment industry, with delays in production causing a ripple effect amongst plenty of projects. Several major networks and studios have had to adjust their schedules accordingly. Producers and studios are working to navigate the aftermath and try to minimize further disruptions.