How can music affect your mental health?

%C2%A9+PickPik
© PickPik

Many people turn to music in their daily lives, whether it be to get through the day or to relax and enjoy themselves. However, music, like all forms of media, can alter and impact our mental health. Some people find solace in listening to somber music when they are sad, while others turn to happier, more uplifting music to get rid of their sadness.

Despite the irony of listening to melancholy music while being sad, there is a sense of catharsis that comes from listening to it. The genuine connection that comes from it is similar to the connection that people experience when having sad conversations with each other. People tend to avoid negative emotional experiences, yet they enjoy sadness when it is portrayed in music and the arts. Moreover, sad music can also elicit other emotions, such as peacefulness and curiosity. However, this can vary by person due to music taste being subjective.

According to Tallahassee Memorial Healthcare, while music taste is personal, a person who listens to music that matches their music taste (which is influenced by their personality and culture) can improve their emotional self-regulation. This is because music can cause a variety of emotions, and finding the song that matches your mood can help you regulate the feelings that come with it.

Listening to music has also been found to reduce stress, alleviate symptoms of depression, and improve general mood. This is because of music’s ability to trigger the brain’s reward system and release dopamine, which lightens people’s moods. Music also exists as a form of therapy in which experts use music-based activities to address the needs of individuals.

Additionally, music is known to affect behavior as well. To some people, it serves as motivation, while to others, it serves as a timer or a way to enhance their mood. For example, younger shoppers in a store are more likely to spend more time shopping when listening to instrumental music, while older generations tend to prefer either no music or classic rock. However, it also depends on the task at hand. During more monotonous and repetitive tasks such as shopping, music can be a stimulant, while it can be distracting during more involving tasks like writing.

Music can also affect how people act socially. According to Daniel Levitin, a professor of psychology and music at McGill University located in Canada, music also triggers the release of the hormones oxytocin and serotonin, which are hormones responsible for bonding and developing relationships with others. This means that music can create a shared experience that fosters a sense of unity and belonging. This is why music is often a central part of parties and social gatherings, as it strengthens bonds between people.

Music means different things to different people. For some, it is a source of empowerment, and for others, it is a hobby that they enjoy. It serves as a motivator, a social catalyst, a mood enhancer, and is beneficial to the everyday lives of people in many different ways.