Course Deep Dive: AP Psychology

Mario Fuentes, Staff Writer

AP Psychology, other times referred to as AP Psych by students is a college-level course offered here at Danbury High School. The course takes an in-depth look at how people function and how we as humans work. The course is like none other offered here at DHS so it’s no surprise that it keeps popping up on people’s requested courses next year.

For people who have never taken an AP-level course, an “AP” (Advanced Placement) course is a college-level class that tests your strength in a certain subject. At the end of the year, students take an exam for the class which, if passed, could provide college credits to institutions that offer it. This is beneficial for students who do not want to take a certain class in college or do not want to pay extra money per course. To add on, DHS offers an AP multiplier that boosts your GPA for taking these rigorous courses. Mr.Machado, one of three AP Psychology teachers here at DHS tells students to expect  “A college leveled class.  You need to apply what you know and expect to dedicate time outside of the class to polish your love and understanding of class material.” While this is dedicated towards AP Psych, it could honestly apply to any AP class that students plan to take. It is important to know what you are getting into and what to expect.

AP Psychology is really unlike any other class. Many students believe that is the most interesting AP class available. Mr.Machado adds on by saying “It is unlike any class.  It will cause you to reevaluate your own thinking. It presents you with a state of consciousness on a previously blurred perspective of the world around you.”  AP Psych dives deep into its nine units. Each gives emphasis on a different part of the human world. Starting from the fundamentals of psychology all the way to dissecting each part of the brain and telling us how each part works. In addition, showing students a view on life they have never had before. AP Psych can lead prospering to an amazing career in psychology. Having this prior knowledge before going into a psychology degree can be a big jump start in a person’s career.

When picking classes for the 2023-2024 school year, do not be afraid to take a look at this amazing class. While the work and dedication might seem like a lot, we have some amazing teachers here a DHS to guide you through your AP experience. After all the hard work, it will be so worth it to look back at all that you have learned and accomplished