Breaking News

Popular artists songs are returning to tiktok

photo creds: Manchester Digital

Recently, many became aware that UMG artists wanted their music removed from Tik Tok after a failed agreement with the social media platform over royalties. Subsequently, in February after this issue grew in popularity, Tik Tok began to remove all videos that used UMG artists music as it was creating copyright issues. 

As UMG suspected this would help their artists reach their full potential, it was ultimately hurting their careers. When they eliminated Tik Tok as a marketing tool, they caused a decline in artists’ views. This was extremely detrimental to artists as many of their songs became hits through Tik Tok.  

Due to this dramatic decline NBC News says, “UMG-affiliated artists remained unsure of how to promote new music.” After months of back and forth, the two parties finally struck a deal. NBC News says, “the agreement included improved compensation for UMG songwriters and artists, promotional opportunities for them and industry leading protections regarding generative artificial intelligence.” 

Going forward in the year, it is expected that many artists such as Taylor Swift, Ice Spice, Noah Kahan and many more will slowly start to appear more on the app. This exciting news should put all the upset teenagers at ease, as they no longer have to worry about their favorite singers leaving the app.