Breaking News

Mental Health in Schools & Teens

Students’ mental health is extremely overlooked in today’s society. In high school, many students face difficulties. The pressure put on students by teachers and parents can make them overanxious. Stress from working about failure is a big cause of mental health decline among students.
Creator: LA Johnson
Mental health in schools.

High school students often face intense academic pressure to excel in multiple subjects.

At a specific point, students have to focus on college admissions and ensuring that they keep a high GPA to get into their college of choice. Social connection is an important aspect of adolescence, but societal pressure does not help when students try to make friends. Students have to worry they are going to be cast out if they don’t conform to the social norms of society; they might feel pressure to maintain an image among their peers. Certain students face expectations and pressure at home, and they don’t know if they have to work to do what their family wants or if they should go against them and make their dreams come true.

Despite its increased awareness, many still do not like discussing mental health issues; there is still a stigma attached to it. Some students do not feel like they can talk about it because they believe it’s a taboo topic; some hide their struggles due to fear of being judged. Teachers must be aware of the pressure on students so that they can work with the parents and school administration to create an environment where students do not have to hide their emotions. Within the last year, 44% of high school students reported feeling signs of depression. This alarming statistic 44% reported signs of depression—is a sign of the urgency of addressing mental health in an educational setting. 

Anthony Steady, a teacher at Danbury High School who has been teaching for six full years, mentioned some ways that teachers recognize signs of struggle with students. The most telling sign is a sudden change in behavior and interest. “If a student is no longer as interested in the topic as they were before,” it is a big indicator that they might be going through something. 

Some students might be too comfortable with a teacher, and they might overshare, so teachers have to make sure that students don’t cross the line. Something that also confuses people is that when they think of mental health, they think “sad” but that is not always the case. When talking to Mr. Steady, he mentions that “a lot of times someone going through it, one of the biggest tale tell sign that can be seen is apathy,” Some students let go of their emotions and stop caring about anything in general. Understanding the different ways that mental health struggles might be apparent is vital. Apathy, as mentioned by Mr. Steady, can be a subtle yet significant indicator. Teachers play a crucial role in recognizing and addressing signs of mental health struggles in students. Anthony Steady’s insights underscore the importance of behavioral change and how that can be a sign that a student is struggling. Mr. Steady mentioned how communication with the parents, counselors, and school administrator is essential. Regular meetings and check-ins should be established by the parents and the school so that the challenges that the students are facing can be better managed. Addressing students’ mental health necessities is a must in today’s society. Destigmatizing mental health discussions and fostering open conversations can greatly benefit the newer generation. Students’ mental health should be prioritized over societal norms, and that cannot be overstated; mental health is a fundamental responsibility. When asked if teachers can sometimes overreact, Mr. Steady mentioned that he “would rather have a kid hate [him] and be alive than a kid like [him] and be dead.”