Salvestrini up for AD award

Salvestrini looking on in the halls of DHS

Shannon Ahearn

Michael Tucci, Sports Editor

By the time that the last whistle had been blown on his career, Chip Salvestrini was in need for a new job, and a new dream to pursue.

He had attended the New York Giants pro day in 1977, trying out as a center.

It didn’t work out the way he had hoped and that day marked the end to a promising football career.

But Salvestrini would soon receive a call that would open the door to something entirely new to him — overseeing scholastic athletic programs.

Salvestrini has been an athletics director for more 30 years at the high school and college levels — Lehman College, Danbury High, a stint at White Plains High, and then back to DHS.

Here at Danbury High, he is in charge of more than 20 sports and 60 teams.

Now he has been nominated for the 2016 National High School Coaches Association Athletic Director of the Year, which he previously had won in 2008.The award was established in 1965 to recognize the work of athletics directors.

One of his coaches, Denise Brough, said he’s deserving of the award because he works so well with the student-athletes.

“He has offered every Danbury high student patience and understanding as well as a chance to play and enjoy their experience as an athlete,” said Brough, Varsity Girls’ Field Hockey coach.

Salvestrini, who is among 50 candidates nationwide, said that’s why he loves the job.

“Working with the students and coaches makes all the hard work worth it,” he said.

Student-athletes around campus said they appreciate the relationship they have with Salvestrini.

“His office is always open to talk baseball,” said senior Jason Goetz, a pitcher for the Hatters.

Junior Jonathan Reiss, who runs track, added: “He’s a friendly guy who wants to help his athletes.”

Salvestrini says with humility that it’s all in a day’s work.

“I’m never one to publicize what I accomplish, but it feels good to know I’m doing something right,” he said. “I love working with the kids and coaches. Being nominated for an award like this doesn’t happen without the support of a lot of people.”