Danbury is a happening place, survey says

Akua Atakora, Staff Writer

Often we hear our classmates bemoan that living in Danbury is boring and that they can’t wait to get out of here.

But reactions on campus to a recent internet survey show Danbury to be among the best places to live in the United States.

Senior Nissi Arcena, who has lived in Danbury most of her life, understands how the survey would include her city.

“It’s always been a friendly town, especially for kids. There’s many educational opportunities as well as places to build relationships,” Arcena said. “Overall, Danbury is a family oriented town where diversity and new spectrums are always welcome.”

Nely Rodriguez, sophomore, says, “I didn’t hear of this survey, but I think this is a good community. Diversity makes this town feel like home. Other neighboring towns are predominantly caucasian and have a silver spoon put in there mouths.”

The report was published in November by Wall Street 24/7, a website dedicated to reporting on economic issues. It rated Danbury No. 2 among the top 50. Meridian, Idaho, was named No.1 and No. 3 was Johns Creek, Ga.

The best places to live are not necessarily affordable,” the article states in a not-so-complimentary tone. “Danbury, the best U.S. city to live in after only Meridian, is in Fairfield County, Connecticut, one of the most expensive areas in the nation.”

But then it concludes: “For many Danbury residents, however, the high standard of living may be worth the high cost. Leisure activities are easy to come by in the area. There are around 10 nature parks and 57 marinas per 100,000 area residents, each some of the highest concentrations of such amenities nationwide.”

Some disagreed, however, with the survey.

Melina Luch, a senior who grew up in Danbury says, “This is a town for maturer families, and there is not many recreational activities.”