Dartmouth Relays show off Danbury’s potential

Jake Roberts, Staff Writer

Danbury Track and Field portrayed some notable performances in January. The annual Dartmouth relays often pose as a chance for more experienced Danbury track and field athletes to achieve fast times and qualify for the later championship season.

The boys side of the meet kicked off with two competitive relays. The Sprint Medley Relay or S.M.R. (400, 200, 200, 800), was led by junior Edmond Olivacce and seniors Devonte Clarke, Leo Abreu and Jake Roberts. The S.M.R. team would snag third in a time of 3:42.18, and would make the DHS All-Time Performance List.

The Distance Medley Relay or D.M.R. (1200, 400, 800, 1600) was led by junior Trevor Reed, senior Jonathan Bartley, junior Terrell Cunningham, and senior Jack Adamski. The D.M.R. would also grab third place in a time of 10:44.38 making the DHS All-Time Performance List. Both relays qualified for FCIAC and Class LL’s.

The 55 High Hurdles had a Class LL qualifying time of 8.62 from Danbury in hurdler Chase Nalley, junior.  

The 55 Meter Dash had another Class LL qualifying time in Edmond Olivacce with a time of 7.02.

Both Devonte Clarke and Leo Abreu qualified for Class LL’s in the 300 Meter dash. Abreu would run 37.89 and Clarke 36.21, taking 3rd place.

The 600 Meter Dash starred seniors Jake Roberts, Jonathan Bartley, and junior Terrell Cunningham. All three would qualify for Class LL’s, with Bartley running 1:28.55. Roberts would finish 9th with a time of 1:26.05, the number 10 fastest performance ever recorded at Danbury High. Even further was Cunningham who finished 2nd in a time of 1:25.04, the 6th fastest performance ever at Danbury High. “I don’t appreciate being a second place athlete” announced an annoyed Cunningham.

The 1000 Meter Dash had two Class LL qualifying performances in senior Tim Moore and junior Pedro Pereira. Pereira would run 2:47.15 and Moore 2:43.43-also making the DHS all time performance list.

The One Mile was run by Danbury’s Jack Adamski, Trevor Reed, and junior Brad Fox. All three would qualify for the Class meet.

The fielders would also score points for Danbury. Junior Tumani Edwards would qualify for Class LL’s in the Long Jump with a jump of 19-09.50. Edwards would then jump 43-02.50 in the Triple Jump, placing fourth at the meet and setting the school and FCIAC record.

Sophomore Nathaniel Llanos vaulted 12-06 in the pole vault, finishing 7th for the meet and qualifying for the Class Meet.

The Shot Put allowed seniors Jonah Hinh and Kelbin Rodriguez to qualify for the Class meet with throws of 41-06.75 and 40-10.75 respectively.

The boys 4×400 Meter Relay would score the final points for Danbury, finishing third. The team of Jonathan Bartley, Devonte Clarke, Leo Abreu, and Terrell Cunningham ran a collective time of 3:32.24, making the DHS All-Time Performance list.

The Danbury Boys finished third overall at the Dartmouth relays behind Huntington, N.Y. (2nd) and La Salle, R.I. (1st).

The Danbury Girls also had some standout performances. The girls 4×200 team of senior Saintphanie Porcenat, and juniors Bridget Chiaravalle, Zyniah Bunn, and Jewel Ly ran a team time of 1:48.11, the 11th All-Time performance in Hatters history. Sophomore Leah Sarkisian would finish 4th in the 600m with a time of 1:41:8.

Above all, the S.M.R. team of Porcenat, Chiravalle, Sophomore Olivia Turk and Sarkisian qualified for Emerging Elite Nationals with a time of 4:17:8, and currently the U.S. No. 11 time.