Fall Sports Preview 2021

Simon Benitez, Staff Writer

*These responses were based on each coach’s response to questionnaire

Boys Cross Country 

Head Coach: Rob Murray

What are your expectations for this upcoming fall season?

“We are expecting to have a successful season.  We have a culture and history that strives to train hard, compete hard and have fun.  We also aim to be one of the most competitive programs in the FCIAC conference and the CIAC state.”

How have your preparations been going for the season (Pre-season)?

“We had a very successful preseason. We met in July and August, Monday-Friday for 2 hours to condition for the season and we had 20-30 guys there every day.”

Captains: Steven Confesor-Chable (Sr.), Adrian Guerrero(Sr.), Ryan Scappaticci (Sr.), Chris Twombly (Sr.)

What do you expect from your captains in terms of their impact upon the rest of the team?

“We expect our captains to continue the captain legacy which is to pass the desire, work ethic, the tight bonds of brotherhood that the previous captains have passed to them. It is a big responsibility and they will be judged by how the team functions when they are gone.  I believe this group of captains all have very high standards of themselves and this team and they are ready to lead by their actions and their positive interactions with all team members.”

Key Players: Ryan Scappaticci (SR), Devon Rosemark(JR), Chris Twombly(SR), Steven Confesor-Chable(SR), David King (JR).  The last two spots are wide open here are a few that should contend for those spots: Josh Roos(JR),  Elias Alvarado(SO), Adrian Guerrero(SR), Dominik Aguilar(SR), Chris Bishop(SO), Xavier Going (FR)

What do they bring to the table?

“This group of key contributors brings consistency to the table. They are always showing up and doing the hard and extra things to stay healthy to advance themselves to the level we need to be a contender.  We believe this is a ‘why not us?’ [kind of] year.”

Cross Country Girls

Head Coach: Nicholas Fraticelli

“We expect to have a solid team with many new girls expected to contribute. “

“The girls have conditioned well all summer to be ready to compete this fall.”

Captains: Grace Bennet (Sr.), Stephanie Quieroz (Sr.), Paz Moran (Sr.), Giovana Dos Santos (Sr.)

“Our captains will be kind, helpful, and lead by example as well.”

Key Players: Arianna Martinez, Leyna Scappattici (Fr.), Bridget Preveza (Fr.), Kaitlyn Zyloski (Fr.), Kathryn Barnett (Jr.)

What do they bring to the table? 

“Our key contributors will be good teammates and will compete with a lot of ferocity.”

Boys Soccer

Head Coach: Antony Howard

Last Season Record: 2-3-2

“We are extremely young with only a handful of players with Varsity experience, however, our expectations are the same as every year… Make the playoffs and give ourselves a shot of winning a title.”

“Things have been tough with the turf field being out of commission for the start of the season, but we have a good group of players that are willing to learn.”

Captains: Ben Tomas (Sr.) and Tyler Le (Sr.)

“This year, more than ever our captains have to set the tone and lead by example, the younger players are relying on them to lead the way on and off the field.”

Key Players: Naidson Mecado (Sr.), Tyler Le (Sr.), Ben Tomas (Sr.), Jefferson Magalhaes (Jr.)

What do they bring to the table?

“Tyler [Le] and Naidson [Mecado] are strong seniors that will give us a physical presence at the back, Ben [Tomas] is an experienced and technical midfielder that can control the tempo of the game, and Jefferson [Magalhaes] brings some pace and technical ability to our attack.”

Girls Soccer

Head Coach: Jessica Halas

Last Season Record: 3-6

“My expectations for this upcoming season is to qualify for the FCIAC and State tournament.  We have the talent to get there this year and compete with the middle to top-tier teams in our league.  I expect the core of our Junior class to step up, lead and set the tone in achieving those goals/expectations.”

“Like Pre-Season should be going…there has been some great, some good, some bad, and some ugly.  We are sorting things out and continuing to grow as individuals and as a team.”

Captains: Brooke Beneway (Sr.), Karrina Furtado (Sr.), Mya Pellicone (Jr.).

“To set the tone and lead by example.”

Key Players: Brooke Beneway (Sr), Karrina Furtado (Sr), Mya Pellicone (Jr), Mali Nepeman (Jr), Natalia Catarino (Jr), Jane Gawley (Jr), Caroline Dickson (Jr), Erin Bleecker (Jr).  – (However, our entire roster is key…we are only as strong as our weakest player.  It takes a village as they say…our entire roster is key.)

Girls Volleyball

Head Coach: Daylon Wilkins

Last Season Record: 5-6

“My expectations for the fall are to compete with anyone and everyone who walks in our gym. I want us to be known as the team no one wants to play because of how hard we work and how smart we play. A true definition of the word “team”, holding each other ups while pushing each other to do our best. Making the FCIAC playoffs and the State playoffs are definitely on our list and I definitely think we can make some noise in both. I want the girls to really enjoy their time in our program and with a little hard work, we can go a long way.”

“Our preseason has been great so far. This being my first year here I’m asking a lot of them, not only physically but also mentally. I want them to think about what they are doing and making sure everything they do has a purpose. They are really starting to buy in and it’s just the start that I wanted to have.”

Captains: Chloe Perreault (Sr.)

“..leading by example and being a vocal leader on and off the court.”

Key Players: Chloe Perreault (Sr.), Mya Seng (Sr.), Tenley Wallin (Sr.), Sabryna Custodio (Sr.)

What do they bring to the table? 

“Chloe Perreault who is one of our starters on the outside, this is her first year playing on the outside but has been doing a great job for us. Also, our setter Mya Seng is doing a really good job setting the tone of our offense, taking in all the information I’m giving her and she’s just growing more day by day. Tenley Wallin is our libero and is one of the hardest-working girls I’ve ever coached. Sabryna Custodio is really buying in, pushing herself every day and gonna be huge for us later in the season along with a very talented junior class.”

Boys Football

Head Coach: Augestine Tieri

Last Season Record (Fall 2019): 5-5

Every year we set out to be better than we were the year before, obviously we didn’t have a season last year, so it was hard to gauge the potential for this season.  I feel very confident in the group of kids.  Our last recorded season was 5-5, we expect to improve on that.”

“It was great. Linemen were in the weight room, throughout the winter and spring.  Many of our other skilled guys played other sports, a lot of them ran track for coach Murray which I thought was very beneficial for them.  This summer we had a great commitment from our entire team, guys have been at least 4 times a week throughout the course of the summer leading up to the season. Since the start of the season, everyone has worked really hard.”

Captains: Nick Smith (Sr), Johnnyel Ramirez (Jr)

“I want them to be vocal leaders and lead by example guys. It’s hard to follow somebody as a captain if they don’t back up what they say with their actions on the field and both guys exemplify that.  Great Leaders, on and off the field, and they set an example as far as their work ethic, their level of commitment, and how they conduct themselves outside of the football arena.”

Key Players: Nick Smith (Sr), Artez Taft (Sr), Jashon Little (Sr), Brenyn Boswell (Sr), Johnnyel Ramirez (Jr), Dylan Joyner (Sr), Anthony Pellicone (Sr), Jon Martinez (Sr), Jayden Leroy (So), Zak Ghaffory (Sr), Darnell Bronson (Fr)

Girls Swimming

Head Coach: Lindsay Glaser

“My expectations for the upcoming season are that the team works together and has fun!”

“Our preparations for the season have gone very well.  The girls have participated in dryland workouts to prepare them for the pool workouts that began last week.  The girls have also participated in practices that are focused on specific strokes or techniques that will help improve their swimming skills.”

Captains: Alexandra Simmons (Sr), Olivia Melendez

“I expect the team captains to lead by example with their words and actions both on and off the pool deck.  We have had conversations as a team about our expectations for one another and hope this contributes to a great season together.”

Do you already have some players in mind that you consider key to this season?

“Each swimmer who has joined the team this season has certainly shown their strengths in the first 2 weeks of practices.  We have our first meet this Saturday (9/11) and anticipate that each of their strengths will shine during this competition!”

What do they bring to the table?

“We have girls who have shown they have great leadership and/or teamwork skills when collaborating with other members.  I have also seen girls bring their knowledge, technique, endurance, and speed for their swimming practice and I’m sure that will show in our meets.”

Girls Field Hockey Team

Head Coach: Denise Brough

Last Season Record: 0-8

“Our coaching staff has extremely high expectations for this season.  We graduated 11 seniors last year but we have a promising nucleus of returning players.”

“Our pre-season went fairly well, with our players working hard at Perry Field which is adjacent to Rogers Park since our turf field wasn’t quite finished.  We were so happy to hear that it was completed in time to start our season.”

Captains: Rina Fernandez (Sr), Shayenne Tomasik (Sr)

“Our seniors will play a monumental role in the success of our season.  They are tremendous student-athletes, leaders both in and out of the classroom.  We will be counting on them to play a pivotal role this year.”

Key Players: Sofia Whelchel (Sr), Rylie Nunes (Sr), Kate Salvador (Jr), Kayla Tomasik (S, Liz Grecco (Sr), Olivia Landau (Sr), Phoebe Schrag (Sr), Grace Gundeck (Jr), Bianca Lopes (Jr), Sam Murray (Jr), Hannah Peterson (Jr), Tessa Treglia (Jr), Aaliyah Frank (S, Ella Orgera (S, Corinne Whelchel (S