My Top 10 Favorite Valentine Movies

Sherly Chamorro, Staff Writer

February 14 is a special day for couples. It’s a day of love, it’s a day of joy and for others, it’s a day of sadness. If you are feeling sad or you just wanna watch a nice romantic movie with your significant other you’ve come to the right place. Here are my top 10 favorite valentine’s movies to get into the loving spirit. 

1. The Kissing Booth

The Kissing booth” is about a high school girl, named Elle Evans, and her best friend, Lee Flynn, who come up with a great idea for the spring carnival. They come up with a kissing booth. A kissing booth is a booth of a girl and a boy and you choose to kiss one of them. Elle always had a crush on Lee’s brother but she couldn’t date him because of these rules they made up when they were nine. But later on in the movie, Elle decided to sign herself up, she came face-to-face with her crush, Lee’s brother, and he kissed her. Then they start to date. This creates a conflict between Elle and her best friend, Lee, but in the end, they make up and become friends again. I believe this movie is overall great and it had a great lesson at the end of it but, I didn’t like the fact that Elle would choose to date a guy over her friendship. I believe that a guy shouldn’t get in the way of your friendship, but I also believe that your friend should always support you. 

1. To All The Boys

In 9th place we got “To all the boys”, but I’m specifically going to talk about “To all the boys I’ve loved before”. This romantic movie is about a shy girl named Lara Jean. Lara Jean writes five secret love letters to her crushes, but these love letters were never intended to be sent out. Until her curious little sister finds them and secretly sends them out to all of Lara Jean’s crushes. I love how Lana Condor is the lead character. She is a Vietnamese actress who plays Lars Jean in the movie; Lara Jean is a half Korean and half whites character. This is something not every Hollywood movie has adapted to. This Netflix rom-com franchise is outstanding. I recommend watching this and the other sequels 

1. Someone Great

‘Someone great’ is about the main character Jenny, who just got out of a long-term relationship. Jenny is a journalist from New York City, she lands her dream job for the Rolling stones but she has to move to San Fransisco. Her boyfriend breaks up with her and she gets depressed. She calls her friend to come to cheer her up. She ends up going to a concert and she is having the time of her life. She tries to have fun but keeps remembering about her ex. She finally gets over him and moves to San Francisco. This show explores breakups and how some people deal with them. This is a great rom-com to watch when you are feeling a little sad about not having a valentine. I love the message of this film and that is you need a man to fulfill your desires. This show encourages women to follow their careers without anyone holding them back. 

1. Palm Springs

‘Palm springs’ is about 2 wedding guests who get stuck in a time loop. They try to manage their reputation but they end up falling in love with each other. There’s a lot of wackiness along the road. Since the day resets every night, there are a lot of opportunities to engage in nonsense without consequences. Samberg, who plays one of the wedding guests, is hilarious and a genius. It’s nice to see him here with Milioti, who plays the other wedding guest since they work together so well. Although you may not have heard of this one before, its Rotten Tomatoes rating of 95% ensures it will not disappoint.

1. 5 Feet Apart

This movie is about a seventeen-year-old girl who is very sick. She spends most of her life in the hospital because she has cystic fibrosis. She is very self-controlled and has a routine and boundaries she strictly follows. She meets another teen boy who has the same illness as her. They must keep a safe distance from each other but they are very flirtatious toward each other. As they get to know each other their attraction toward each other grows more and they start breaking the rule of keeping a safe distance, I like this movie because their illness doesn’t get in the way of loving each other. This was a very difficult movie to watch because of their illnesses getting in the way of their love. I also love the balance of love and death, it keeps the audience on the edge of their seat.  

1. Dirty Dancing

‘Dirty Dancing’ is about Frances ‘Baby’ Houseman is one summer away from joining the Peace Corps. She hopes to enjoy her childhood while it lasts, but her summer plans land her in a quiet lodge in the Catskills with her parents. Her luck changes when the resort’s dancing instructor, Johnny (Patrick Swayze), hires Baby as his new partner, and the two fall in love. Baby’s father prevents her from seeing Johnny, but she is eager to help him perform the summer’s final grand dance. Dirty dancing is such a valentine’s day classic. I love how the characters are so passionate. I love everything from the music to the choreography to the acting.  

1. Flipped

Juli Baker falls in love with her neighbor, Bryce Loski, the moment they meet in second grade. Bryce, on the other hand, is unaffected by the spark. From then on, he makes every effort to keep the wild and unpredictable Juli away. After six years, she begins to suspect that she was mistaken about him being her true love. Unfortunately, this coincides with Bryce’s realization that he was also mistaken about Juli. Overall, Flipped is a beautiful and sweet film. The performers’ performances will not fail you, especially the two young protagonists, who did an excellent job of conveying every emotion simply. Every scenario will be enjoyable for you. I particularly liked how they depicted the emotions, which, as the title implies, take a turn.

1. Half of it

In Alice Wu 2020 coming-of-age film, Elli chu, the main character, is a straight student. She is depicted as a timid Chinese-American girl. She helps the school’s jock to impress a girl but the plot twist is that she likes the same girl. They begin to bond and learn about the essence of love. Netflix has progressively accumulated a sizable collection of coming-of-age rom-com. The Half of It is mainly in the center of the pack, but Ellie is the type of protagonist we don’t see enough of. I love how this movie focuses on the concepts of teenaged sexual identity and sexual orientation. It gives the audience insight into what it is like for a teenage girl to find herself and who she is as a person. The journey she takes on this is phenomenal.

1. 13 Going on 30

A junior high student, Jenna Rink, is sick of the social structure. Overnight she transforms into a grown-up, living out her fantasies about being grown. As a teenager, she tries getting a boyfriend but she fails to get one. She imagines getting her life together as an adult. Soon her fantasies about being an adult become true. She turns into a 30-year old woman. Ready to get her life together, she faces lots of obstacles. Her childhood friend, Matt, has been there since the beginning and by the end, she falls in love with him because she sees that she is really in love with him. This feel-good fairytale is a worthwhile watch. Jennifer Garner, who plays Jenna Rink, makes a humble appearance as the main character. This is a good-humor rom-com. 

1. Her

In spikes, Jonze’s 2013 film, Theodore Twombly, the main character, is a lonely, depressed guy who had just gotten out of a relationship. As a career, He writes personal poems/love letters. When he upgrades his operating system, he finds himself falling in love with the artificial intelligence personal assistant. This AI is named Samantha. He feels as if Samantha loves him back. This is a great movie. Joaquin Phoenix, who plays Theodore Twombly, did a fantastic depicting the infatuation for an AI with his character; and Scarlett Johansson, who plays Samantha( aka the AI), great job representing the AI, her charmful, friendly voice makes it as if Samantha was a real person.