Danbury High School 2022 Club Options

Erza Ballata, Staff Writer

At Danbury High School we have over 40 amazing and fun clubs! In clubs, students are able to attend club-related activities and go on some cool trips. Clubs can help students with their communication, organization, and critical thinking skills. In clubs, students are able to try new things out and make new friends with the same interests. Students have the chance to test their skills and talents in various situations, They will almost always work together to help set up goals. At DHS we have a variety of clubs. We have different types of ethnicity and race clubs, future career clubs, and political ones too.

Here are the lists of all the current available clubs here at DHS:

Advocacy Club

AFJROTC Drill Team 

Art Club 

Amnesty International 

Asian Clubs

B.A.S.I.C

Between The Spines

Black Live Matter 

Brazilian Club

Cards Club

Chess Club

Cinema Club 

Debate team

DECA

DHS productions

DHS UNICEF Club

Fishing Club

FBLA

Geography Club

GSA Diversity Club

Hatters Herald / Journalism

HOSA: Future Healthcare Professionals

Italian Club

Jazz Band

Key Club

Latino Club

Leo Club

Marching Band/ Color Guard

Math Team

Medical Career Club

Mock Trial Club

Model United Nations

National Art Honors Society 

National English Honor Society 

National Math Honors Society

Nuttmegger

Peer Leadership 

Photography Club

Rho Kappa National Social Studies Honor Society

Robotics Club

Science National Honor Society / Science Club

Spanish Honor Society / Sociedad Honoraria Hispánica

STEMinists

Teen Leadership Health Council

TRI-M, Modern Music Masters

Winter Color Guard

Word Warriors Poetry Club

Yearbook

Young Republicans

Young Democrats

I had the time to briefly interview a couple of club advisors and ask them a few basic questions students might have when considering joining a club whether it’s for fun or general interest.

Below are the responses to this list of questions:

– What are the club’s benefits?

– When and how can students join the club?

– What are the club’s hours/ meeting times?

–  Are there any requirements?

–  Are there any student expectations?

– What are the club activities?

Mock Trial Club – Current Advisor: Mrs. Passarelli 

• What are the club’s benefits? Students will gain real-world experience, build communication skills, and learn how America’s judicial system works.
  • When and how can students join the club? Anyone can come to any of our meetings.
  • What are the club’s hours/ meeting times? Mock Trial will meet on Tuesdays, here are the specific dates: 10/11, 10/18, 11/8, 11/15, 12/13, 12/20, 1/10, 1/17, 2/7, 2/14, 3/7, 3/14, 4/18, 5/9, 5/16
  • Are there any requirements? no requirements
  • Are there any student expectations? Students are expected to respect others and actively participate in activities.
  • What are the club activities? We will hold a mock trial on a murder case. Students will take active roles playing lawyers, witnesses, plaintiffs, defendants, and jurors. Guest speakers will be invited to speak to us throughout the school year.

Young Republicans – Current Club Advisor: Ms. Soto

• What are the club’s benefits? The benefit of The Young Republicans club is that students have opportunities to talk about local and national political events. They also get to learn about elections and how they work.
  • When and how can students join the club? Students can join the club by coming to meetings on Thursday after school. New members are always welcome.
  • What are the club’s hours/ meeting times? Our club meets Thursday after school in D268 from 2-3.
  • Are there any requirements? There are no specific requirements but members are encouraged to hold signs on election day at various polling locations in Danbury.
  • Are there any student expectations? The only expectation is that members come to meetings with topics to discuss or ask questions about in relation to current events.
  • What are the club activities? The members do not participate in any organized activities except on election day. If students want to get involved in local politics, they are encouraged to attend monthly meetings with the Danbury Republican Town Committee.

Medical Career Club – Advisor: Ms. Gurney

• What are the club’s benefits? The club is beneficial for anyone that is interested in a medical profession; we have medical students come in on a regular basis to inform DHS students about the challenges and real-life experiences of medical school. 
  • When and how can students join the club? Students can come to club meetings
  •  What are the club’s hours/ meeting times? Medical Careers Club meets every other Monday after school in C537.  Our next meeting is October 3, and anyone can come and join
  • Are there any requirements? There aren’t any requirements 
  •  Are there any student expectations? however, the expectation is that you attend the meetings and participate in the club
  • What are the club activities?   We focus on medical careers, but we also do community service and mental health training. 

Young Democrats – Advisor: Ms. Perez

•  What are the club’s benefits? Our club, the Democrats of DHS, or Young Democrats, provides a space to meet and discuss political issues in our community, the state, and the greater US in general.
  •  When and how can students join the club? – Students can join whenever they like and should join our Schoology page using the code N7NM-XW6T-XJBNS
  • What are the club’s hours/ meeting times? – Our club will begin meeting every other Wednesday during flex in D282 and all new members are welcome to join.
  • Are there any requirements? – There are no requirements to join the club except active participation.
  • Are there any student expectations? – We expect members to be active participants in decision-making for the club as well as coming up with different ways for students to get involved in the community and political process within Danbury.
  • What are the club activities? – The club’s activities include advocacy, voter registration drives assisting Mr. Steady, attending school board meetings, etc.

As you can tell DHS has a variety of clubs everyone can join to learn new things, find new interests, and have fun! To learn more about our clubs at DHS here is the current student handbook

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Zh1zATCgjjQjgo-OgljcOdbcj-IUQFwiW9oMIK8efVA/edit#gid=0