The Journey To College

The Journey To College

Hope Thomas, Staff Writer

It seems like just a few days ago when the seniors entered Danbury High School for the first time in 2019. The Class of 2023 endured high school in many different ways. Their freshman year was unexpectedly cut short due to the Covid-19 Pandemic. Students experienced an entire year of online school their sophomore year, with few students returning for hybrid classes at the end of the year. Their junior year was met with masks, social distancing, and constant quarantining. In the midst of everything the Class of 2023 has been through, they have finally entered their senior year, the most “normal” school year these students have seen in their high school careers. 

As Spring approaches, many seniors have started to hear back from colleges. For some students, the choice of which college to choose was extremely easy. For Alisha Rana, a senior at Danbury High School, choosing Quinnipiac University to major in Accounting was an easy choice. She explains “What really captured my attention at Quinnipiac University was their accelerated dual-degree program, where in four years I will be able to obtain both my Bachelors in Science for Accounting, and my Masters in Business Administration.” Rana was able to take advantage of a program that allowed her to complete the one-hundred fifty credit hours required for her to become a certified public accountant (CPA) in four years instead of the traditional six year journey. She was also able to participate in the Honors program at Quinnipiac where she could take part in community change projects. Rana is a chief example of how crucial it is to choose a college that will help students advance in their future careers. 

Along with choosing favorable programs, student athletes must decide which college is best for pursuing their sport. Jolie Osborne is an incredible athlete excelling in volleyball, basketball, and lacrosse at Danbury High School. She plans to pursue lacrosse while attending St. Lawrence University. While many athletes choose to end their athletic careers once they start college, Osborne explained “I love playing lacrosse so much that it didn’t feel right for my journey to end after my senior year.” Osborne continued to elaborate on the community that sports provides that would give her a worthwhile college experience. For someone who participates in many sports, it was difficult for her to choose which one she will pursue in the future. Jolie Osborne shares, “It was really tough picking between basketball and lacrosse. I love both sports so much and they’ve been in my life forever. I ultimately decided on lacrosse because I felt it fit my skill set as an athlete perfectly, and I always had so much fun playing, win or lose.” Osborne’s responses provide an important principle, the balance of skill and amusement is crucial for student athletes as countless hours will be invested in their sport for the next four years. 

As exciting as the college application and acceptance process may seem, it is also a source of anxiety for many students. There is a lot of pressure associated with choosing the correct college, and major. Students struggle between choosing their dream colleges and schools that will support their financial needs. Abigail Abraham, a senior at Danbury High School articulates, “No matter how many times people reassure me that the college admission process isn’t as daunting as it seems, every time I open CommonApp (an application to apply to colleges), I feel like a heavy weight is being put on me.” Students are expected to manage a variety of deadlines based on their respective schools. Additionally, many applicants struggle with financial aid documentation as their family members never attended college and are unable to assist in inputting financial records. The logistic aspect of applying to college and then choosing the correct college requires responsibility that most students have never experienced at their age. Thankfully, Danbury High School has the Career Center along with counselors and FAFSA nights that will conference with students and guide them through the college admissions process. 

While the seniors are soon to leave Danbury High School, it is important to recognize how their high school experiences made them who they are today. Osborne expresses, “I’ve played through countless mentally and physically exhausting games and practices where I’ve come out on the other side stronger. The Hatter family is no joke and being a part of this community makes me proud to be a Hatter.” Danbury’s students have the privilege of attending a school with individuals from many different backgrounds. This high school prepares all of its students for college as its diversity truly mimics the real world. 

These four years have also fostered passions that students will continue to pursue in the future. Alisha Rana reminisces, “Through my time here at DHS, something I have found myself to be passionate about is volunteering and giving back to the community. These experiences of working alongside my peers and those in my community stand to be something I am hopeful will continue through my time in college.” Danbury High School has only kindled a flame of ambition in their students that will continue to grow in the years to come. 

Ultimately, the college admissions process is a mix of excitement, anxiety, hard work, and persistence. Students must research a variety of schools and programs that fit their personal interests. For many high schoolers, their hard work stems from the inspiration of attending their dream college in the future. To any underclassmen, continue to press on and work towards fulfilling your future goals. To any seniors, do not worry if you are feeling nervous, this is a very important decision in life. However, always remember there are many people at Danbury High School that would like to help you succeed and you can always reach out to them for advice. The Hatter’s Herald wishes the Class of 2023 good luck in their college admissions process, and they are extremely proud of the individuals the seniors have grown to become.

Credits to Instagram handle: @dhs.commits2023
Credits to Instagram Handle: @goldcoastlax