National Upset In College Wrestling

National Upset In College Wrestling

Jacob Joy, Staff Writer

The NCAA Wrestling Championship Tournament started Thursday the 16th and ended Saturday the 18th.  The NCAA is an annual tournament that takes place in March and is a highly competitive event. The game attracts many fans and supporters and is often broadcast on national television. Spencer Lee is a highly decorated wrestler who has already achieved significant success in his career. He has won three NCAA championships and two Big Ten championships and has been named the ‘Most Outstanding Wrestler’ of the NCAA Championships twice. He is also a two-time U.S. World Team member and a 2021 Olympic Trials Champion. He was expected to be a top contender in the 2023 NCAA season and was the number-one seed in his bracket. However, was defeated by upcoming wrestler Matt Ramos in the semifinal. Matt Ramos is a talented wrestler from Illinois who has had success at the high school level. He has won multiple state titles in Illinois and has been ranked as one of the top wrestlers in the country in his weight class. In addition, he has competed at the national level, including at the USA Wrestling Junior Nationals.  Spencer Lee came back from recovering from torn ACLs on both legs and made it to the semifinals only to get pinned in the last period by a first-timer from Purdue. This caused outrage because it was the “unthinkable as Ramos ending Lee’s 58-match winning streak was, his mother’s reaction to the stunning defeat was even more eyebrow-raising. Cathy Lee — a flyweight judoka once upon a time who won a silver medal at the 1991 Pan American Games in Havana — destroyed her glasses in full view of ESPN’s television cameras.” (Sports Illustrated).  After that match, Lee forfeited the tournament due to a medical injury. The entire stadium was a mix of emotions,  Purdue was overcome with joy by the Lee family and all the Spencer Lee fans with sadness. What happened can be seen as a lesson that even the mighty can fall and that life is full of turns.