New AFJROTC Officer takes flight

Mikayla Hill

Col. Port poses next to the flag in his uniform.

Mikayla Hill and Camiele Debonis

Col. Michael Port is the latest officer in charge of the AFJROTC program. He uses his military background to teach students about aerospace science and citizenship, preparing them for life after Danbury High.  

Port’s father, Roy G. Port, was an officer in the Army and inspired his son to want to be a part of the military and defend the country.

However, Port’s father, who at one time lived in Danbury, did not want him to go the Army because he thought the Air Force was a better fit.

“Each branch of the military — Army, Navy, Air Force, and the Marines — have different things to offer and he thought that the Air Force would be better for me,” Port said.

Port ultimately joined the Air Force where he had a phenomenal experience working with top colleagues, complex combat systems and cutting-edge technology. He worked in missile launch as a nuclear operations officer.

“The Air Force takes good care of its people by providing a better quality of life,” Port said. “The facilities are amazing to be in.”

Port decided to come to Danbury because the school provided “a big (ROTC) program” enrolled with 97 cadets this year. He also wanted the opportunity to come home and be with family, which lives in Massachusetts.

Port, who enjoys teaching as a senior aerospace science instructor, was excited to come to DHS to teach the students knowing that it would be a challenge adapting his teaching style.  

“Your generation is a lot smarter than my generation,” Port said. The technology and media access is so advanced today that “it actually makes my job a lot easier” because the students are so well educated as we all informed.

Port is already impressed with the students, “not only for their dedication to others but their dedication to the community.”  The ROTC program has already been a part of many community service projects that have benefited the residents of Danbury.  

Junior Jessica Resendes, an AFJROTC cadet, says that Port knows how to control people as well as setting standards for the students.

“Even though he is new, he still does a good job,” Resendes said. “He knows how to control people and does not let anybody intimidate him.”

Port is helpful to students that have conflicts with each other. “He separates teen gossip from the program in order for us to easily get along with one another,” Resendes said. “ROTC is a professional program and as leaders we have to act professional.”

Elizabeth Croxford, junior, said that Port has helped the program tremendously by teaching cadets about aerospace and other activities such as drill team and honor guard.

“Col. Port has been dedicated to helping us and watching over what we do and giving us pointers on what we can do better. So far I believe it has helped us grow a lot as a group.” said Croxford, who adds that she finds the colonel “nice and funny.”

Port said he hopes to increase the number of cadets in the program. He also hopes to teach them how to be respectful to others. He believes that it is important for students to be responsible for themselves to be good self advocates.

“Life is like a wave,” Port said. “Most people are usually upbeat and at the top of the wave, but something happens and then one day they feel down. Go out of your way to bring those people back up and show that they matter.”