Connecticut baseball coaches honor Ratchford as top manager

‘I was not expecting to get this award, but it was an honor’

Mikayla Hill

Varsity baseball coach Shaun Ratchford said he learned a lot about baseball by going to pro spring training camps and watching them work.

Mikayla Hill, Staff Writer

Shaun Ratchford has won the 2017 Baseball Coach of the Year award from the Connecticut High School Coaches Association for his commitment and his passion for the national pastime.

Ratchford mentioned highlights of his career as winning the State Championship title in 2004 and making the final four at FCIACs last year.

He has worked with the DHS baseball program for 37 years and has been head coach for 34 years. He has put in countless hours to make the team successful. His dedication to the sport is one of the reasons for this latest award, which he received in October.

Ratchford is an alumni of DHS and its baseball team, and he credits his teammates and coaches for igniting his passion for baseball and coaching.

“I was not expecting to get this award,” Ratchford says, “but it was an honor.”

This award reflects on Ratchford’s perseverance and enthusiasm toward the sport. “I coach because I love the game,” Ratchford says.

He also gives credit to the players and the assistant coaches for their hard work that they put in every day. “I consider this as the Danbury Baseball Program award.”

Before coaching baseball, as a young man he would go to spring training to watch the Yankees, Phillies, and Brewers. He watched and learned.

From there, his inspiration led on to coaching for girls’ basketball, football, and men’s soccer in New Fairfield.

Chip Salvestrini, athletics director, recognizes Ratchford’s leadership in the baseball program saying that the honor was a “long time coming” for him. Salvestrini says that he was “absolutely thrilled” when he learned of Ratchford’s honor. “He got the recognition he deserved,” Salvestrini says.

He stays up until 12 a.m. to write the practice plans,” Solimine says. “He gives us drills to work on and lets people stay after practice for extra help.

— Ryan Solimine, senior

Salvestrini describes Ratchford as being a “great mentor” by guiding his players in the right direction to become “solid citizens.” Ratchford’s involvement with the baseball team had sent players to college to play baseball.

Junior Jarod Rodriguez, first basemen, admires Ratchford’s commitment to the team. ”He is a great coach,” Rodriguez says. During the season, Rodriguez realized that he had to work harder to meet Ratchford’s expectations.

“To be successful, you have to keep getting better,” Rodriguez says. “We practiced hard even indoors when there weren’t good conditions outside.” For reference, Rodriguez says that Ratchford uses Greg Maddux, a former MLB pitcher, as an example to compare his work efforts to the team’s.

He added that Ratchford had “led [them] the right way” and showed him how to “overcome [negative] circumstances.”

Senior Ryan Solimine, right hand pitcher, said his coach is deserving of the award. “He stays up until 12 a.m. to write the practice plans,” Solimine says. “He gives us drills to work on and lets people stay after practice for extra help.”

Solimine mentioned that the award can inspire them to “improve even [more] this year.”

In addition, Salvestrini adds that Ratchford “shows consistency” with teaching his players methods about the sport — which shows how much he has “given back to baseball.”

Moreover, he highlights the strong relationship Ratchford has with his players. ”He communicates well with the kids,” Salvestrini says. “He requires and encourages them to go to class, work hard, and be committed.”

Furthermore, Salvestrini was delighted to see how Ratchford’s role in the program benefits his players.

“This award continues to show who he is,” Salvestrini says. “He represents himself as a good person in the school and in the city of Danbury.” He added that Ratchford has “the legacy to give back” to the sport.

Ratchford earned this award from his effort and faith he had on his players. “It is important to be recognized how the team works hard,” Ratchford says. “We started with having no expectations and we ended up making it to the final four for FCIACs.”

Ratchford guides his team to success by having his players “admit to their mistakes” and “show repetition.” Ratchford explained that coaching reflects on “[his] works and flaws” and “shows you as a better person.”

Ultimately, Ratchford’s involvement in the program carries a huge impact on the players. “Baseball is a game based on failure and it changes the definition of what success is all about,” Ratchford says. “We make a hard practice to have an easy game.”