Op-Ed: Celebrating Danbury at the state Capitol Building

Contributed photo

Charis Nyarko is a DECO junior who has earned enough credits to graduate in June with the Class of 2018. She plans to attend UCONN.

Charis Nyarko, Guest Writer

Editor’s note: Charis Nyarko is enrolled in the DECO program. She is a junior who has earned enough credits to graduate in June with the Class of 2018. We asked her to write about her experience at “Danbury Day” in Hartford.

We left at about 9:35 a.m. for the state Capitol Building in Hartford. I was very excited, and nervous, to see what it looked like since I had never been there.

Sarah Roy, who is in charge of the DECO program — DHS’s associate degree initiative with Naugatuck Valley Community College — had asked me and my peers to speak on our DECO experiences before state lawmakers during “Danbury Day.”

On the bus, I kept repeating in my head what I was going to say. We arrived there about an hour later. I was so shocked about how the building looked just from outside. It was very ornate and the artwork was stunning.

We filed in a line — both DECO and the AFJROTC students — to enter the building and go through the metal detectors. We continued through the building, up the stairs to where Danbury Day was being held. In the room, there was orange and blue everywhere.

I saw a few familiar faces such as Principal Dan Donovan, Mayor Mark Boughton, Superintendent Sal Pascarella, and deputy superintendent William Glass, but everyone else was unknown to me.

One thing I did notice immediately was how professionally everyone was dressed in suits and dresses. There was a food table in the back that I took a look at after setting up. It was food from various countries such as Brazil, Greece, Italy and so on. I decided to try some, and it was delicious.

As we patiently waited for “Danbury Day” to start, I continued to recite what I was going to say — and I was still very nervous. About 30 minutes later it finally started. The speaker started by introducing everyone who was celebrating with us today and highlighting the great things about Danbury — things that I honestly didn’t even know.

Apparently Danbury is the fastest growing city in Connecticut and the No. 1 city for business. Many people who have been living in Danbury for years and have done so much for the community were honored there. My favorite was an elderly couple, Bob and Diane.

Finally it was the DECO students’ turn to talk about our program. After my three classmates went, it was my turn. Though, I was very nervous, I still felt some confidence as I spoke on my accomplishments as many clapped for me.

I explained that I’m a junior and that I would be graduating early with 12 college credits that I earned through the DECO program. I told them I would be attending the University of Connecticut’s School of Engineering and majoring in computer science, which the program helped me get a head start on.

Despite my nerves, I’m glad I took the time out of my day to go and represent the program and our school during “Danbury Day.”