Teachers receive new MacBook Airs, creating a better Distance Learning experience

Callie Emmans, Staff Writer

Teachers received brand new MacBook Airs from the school. With this being a very pricy computer, the upgrade was very much appreciated by the staff. Especially since the switch to distanced learning, teachers and students have all been having a slew of technical difficulties. These new computers allow teachers to get a fresh start and maybe make it through the day without being frustrated by their battery dying or their inability to connect to wifi.

With school being entirely online, having a good reliable computer is more important than ever. With flex meetings and classes every day, teachers need a reliable piece of technology to get through to their students. Some teachers have been using the same computers for over a decade, making distance learning difficult and leading to a lot of technical difficulties. This upgrade will allow teachers to be more engaged in class and do more with the technology they’re given.

José Vas, who teaches history here at Danbury High, spoke about the perks of this technology upgrade; “I can open up multiple windows and tabs and not have the machine slow down to nothing. It can connect to wifi over greater distances than the old Mac”.

Although there are many upsides, he also details that there are some issues. “There is a minus for me,” Vas says. “There are only two UBS-C ports on this thing. For someone who still uses DVDs, flash drives with old USB connectors, and even ethernet cables, that is an inconvenience.”Although there are small issues, anything is better than a decade-old computer.

Overall, the new computers will allow teachers and students to have a better distance learning experience.