Breaking News

New Staff 2023-2024

Danbury High School
Wikipedia
Danbury High School

We’re officially a month and a half into the new school year and with a new school year comes hundreds of new high school students, brand new to a high school environment and most likely very intimidated by the largest public high school in the state. However, often overlooked is the amount of staff who are also new to the school; many their first time working at a school of such size, and others their first time working in a high school ever. This year at DHS we have a total of 30 new teachers and staff members, many of which have been interviewed by Hatters Herald for the purpose of introducing them to current DHS students and staff and their many future students to come. 

Ranging from states as far as Minnesota to right here in Danbury, these new staff members have come from all different parts of the country to work at DHS. In terms of first impressions, nearly every new staff member interviewed was very surprised by DHS’s uniquely large campus with many comparing its size to college campuses and even high schools in Hollywood movies. 

The vast diversity of DHS students was also an aspect of the school that many new staff members had taken notice of upon their first few weeks of working here. 

But with that being said, let’s get into all of the new staff!

New Teachers to the English Department

Ms. Prudhomme-Cox

What school did you attend and what was your major? 

Brooklyn College, English and secondary education.

Did you always want to be a teacher?

I have always wanted to be a teacher.

Why DHS? What aspect of DHS made you want to work here? 

Danbury High School is a wonderful high school in a modern-thinking and vibrant city rich in history. I wanted to work here because the large size of the high school allows a teacher to make an impact with many students, and it is a place in which an educator learns a lot as well!

What advice would you give to students who want to excel in your class? 

Have the attitude of being ready to participate and to make an effort toward progress in all that you do. 

What is a fun thing you want to do in your classroom?

Projects!

Ginny Wood

Presbyterian College-undergrad-English, Univ. South Carolina MAT, University of NC MSA

I love kids.  I love learning about their lives and challenges.  I feel honored to help them grow and learn.  DHS gave me the opportunity to engage with students in a meaningful way, and I am enjoying every minute of my time here.

Focus on the work; read the directions; be present every day.

My students can look forward to acting out plays, sharing thoughts through debates, and creating presentations in various formats.  Also, we may rap about gerunds, participles, and infinitives.

New Teachers to the Math Department

Sarah Dacres

University of North Carolina- Chapel Hill (Biology)

Did you always want to be a teacher? 

Wanted to be a teacher since 4th grade 

All the languages students speak!

Use your resources and maximize opportunities.

Math breakout room

Ashlie Dranginis

Keene State College – Psychology

Did you always want to be a teacher? If not, what changed your mind? 

Yes.  But I thought I wanted to teach elementary school, then I volunteered in an elementary classroom for a week and knew that age was not for me. 

A friend from college works here and told me who much she enjoys it.  

To excel, they always need to communicate with me.  If they need help, don’t understand, need extra time on an assignment…..just let me know and we can work on it. 

Have the students teach each other how to do certain topics.  Also, I would like us to have fun and laugh a lot. 

Lisa Pierce-Wirth

University of Vermont & University of Maryland College Park, Bachelor of Science in Education, & an endorsement in English, Master of Education in Special Education.

Yes, however, I started teaching in the great outdoors of northern CA in environmental science.  

I really enjoy co-teaching, and many schools don’t have many co-taught classes.  I’m also excited to work with 9th graders for the first time.  

Always try.  Take risks.  Remember that mistakes are part of the learning process.  

When we celebrate academic success in the quest for 6 credits to get to 10th grade, I would like to play some short games that involve student interaction (without devices) like Metaphor Dice and Blink.  

New Teachers to the Social Studies Department 

Tony Violano

I did my undergraduate at Syracuse and majored in Television, Radio, and Film. I have my Master’s in History from Southern CT State University. 

Teaching is my second career. My experiences in other jobs helped me to realize that teaching is something I would be good at, and enjoy. 

I love that Danbury has a large, diverse student population! 

Keep an open mind, do the best work you can, and always turn in your work! 

I like to do debates and historical “trials.” 

Carla Pereira

Sacred Heart University for both my B.A. in History and Master of Arts in Teaching. Go Pioneers! 

Yes and no. I originally wanted to be a nurse so I worked as a CNA for a year in college. Through that, I realized that being in healthcare was not what I wanted everyday. I’m grateful for my experience because I learned a lot. On the other hand, I have always loved History/Social Studies and teaching was my “back-up plan.” I love sharing knowledge about the past, present, future, and how it impacts our daily lives. I really like seeing students learn the history of something they never gave much thought to and see the pieces come together. 

I am a proud alumna of DHS. When applying for jobs, I knew I wanted to apply here because of the diversity, opportunities, and overall experience that DHS offers its students. I enjoyed my time as a student here and I am happy to come back to help students enjoy their time and guide them through their years here at DHS. It’s already been very rewarding.  

Always come to class, participate. 

I would like to work on flexible seating.

Victoria Kraus

I went to Stonehill College in Easton, MA for my undergraduate degree in History as well Spanish and Education Studies. I attended Providence College for my M.Ed in Secondary Education.

Coming from a family of educators, I hope to empower the next generation so that they have a zest for knowledge. I enjoy seeing students share their talents and gifts in a larger setting. I hope to create a supportive and academically motivating environment where students are challenged each day.

I taught in Rhode Island for four years and grew up in Brewster, New York. DHS is a wonderful community that offers distinctive opportunities for all students to succeed.

Each day is an opportunity to work hard, be engaged in class, and be respectful of those around you. I expect students to be open minded when hearing other perspectives and put  in their best effort everyday.

I hope to challenge my students’ thinking by creating different representations of content and having fishbowl discussions.

Jack Pancak

UConn – History and Secondary Education 

When I finished high school I knew I wanted to be a teacher, but I was afraid that I did not have good enough grades to get into the School of Education at UConn. I ended up doing better than I thought and I was admitted into the School of Education my Sophomore year. The rest is history! 

My first couple years of teaching were in Oakland, California. I recently decided to move back to my home state of CT. I chose DHS because it had similar diversity as my previous school. I also watched a video on Youtube about DHS before I accepted the position and I thought the video made the school look like a fun place to work at. 

My advice for students who want to excel in my classes is to be willing to be a part of the classroom community by participating and bringing positive energy. 

A fun tradition I have in my classroom is playing a game called “Guess that Artist”. I play a song for 10 seconds and students have to identify the artist to receive a prize. It is a fun game to play at the end of the week before diving into academics. 

Jake Zorabedian

Was aiming to study medicine with education as a backup plan, but when it came time to study for the MCAT and apply to medical schools – my heart wasn’t in it. I did subpar on 2 MCATs and was really considering the debt I’d have to assume if I could get accepted into a medical school. Did some thinking about what a doctor is supposed to be and the lifestyle – and having worked for one for almost 2 years, with some EMT volunteering on the side – made the switch. There’s a difference between an interest and a career, and I knew with time, I would be a competent teacher. I had my bachelor’s already, so I applied for a master’s in education program. Once I was accepted, I resigned from my office job at an eye clinic, and after some student teaching at RPMS had decided that teaching and I compliment one another. Now it’s time to work and gain experience so I can truly learn the trade.

Orange and blue are nice colors and the Hatter is a pretty unique mascot. I had a year at RPMS so I knew the district somewhat and am eager to see the full academy system they’re developing. Now that I’ve been here for a few weeks I can say I dig my team. The students are bright people, and there’s so much for them to experience and learn here – so I want to be a contributing member to that community.

The focus of secondary school is learning how to learn, communicate, and research, and create. You’re young and school’s free – so try some clubs/sports, spend some quality time with your friends [maybe make new ones – NETWORKING], and try to make connections between the classes you take and your real life. Even though you’ll always think, “when am I EVER going to use this”, there really is an edge to being healthy, educated, skilled and well-rounded. Hard to know what’s worth knowing until you really need it, it just gives you more options. Bringing your own set of interests and ideas to class benefits everyone and helps you get value from the class rather than just a mark on a report card. And – when you study, pretend you’re teaching someone else – it shows the holes in your understanding quickly and helps you focus on what you still need to understand [work smarter, not harder, as they say]. Goals are handy even when you fail at them, because they help you measure yourself – an unaimed arrow never flies. To wrap this up, advice is easier to give than to follow, so when you learn things, it would be nice of you to share them. Trust that I’ll be trying to implement this same advice myself. Cheers – Mr. Z.

We can probably get a variety of seeds to sprout in the classroom, with the proper set-up. Much easier to care for a class plant than a class pet. And – bonus – no one will get bitten.

New Teachers to the Counseling Department 

Michael Holm

I received a BA in English creative writing from WestConn and an MA in School Counseling from Western Carolina University.

I did not always want to work in education, and I very much thought I would be writing and drawing comic books for a living. Along the way I realized that I enjoyed working with young people and helping them reach their goals.

A decade ago, I taught English at Broadview Middle School and enjoyed working with the students. Working at DHS has been a continuation of that.

As a former teacher, I would encourage students to ask questions, advocate for themselves, and connect with their classmates and teachers.

Help students view challenges as opportunities.

New Teachers to the Science Department 

Luis Raul Alicea

Skidmore College BA in Chemistry, Master of Arts in Secondary Education in Chemistry 7-12 from Columbia University Teachers College and Seton Hall University I got a Master of science in Organic Chemistry with a concentration in Sugar chemistry.

Did you always want to be a teacher? 

Yes I always wanted to be a teacher 

The Staff, the student and location

Keep the eye on the price which is the  diploma with honors

I want my student to perform hip and hop in science with science lyrics or do a ballroom team.

New Teachers to the Foreign Language Department 

Jade Graham

The College of William and Mary, English and Hispanic Studies

I did not always want to be a teacher. I grew up in a family of teachers. My mother is a teacher; my grandfather was a Math teacher and assistant principal. However, I wanted to do something different, something related to writing or literature. Later, I found teaching to be a vehicle for me to live abroad and experience other countries and cultures. However, once I began teaching, I began to really love it. Now I cannot imagine doing anything else.

I previously worked at Broadview Middle School from 2019-2022 and after a year away, I really missed Danbury. I believe Danbury is a great community; I love the kindness of our students. As a language teacher, I also love the linguistic diversity of the district; it’s so cool to learn different phrases from my students’ home languages. 

Be kind and treat everyone with respect. Be determined and be prepared to work hard (and read a lot).

I would like to celebrate feria (Spain) with my students next spring. This is a goal I’ve had for a while. I’d like to give my students the opportunity to see a live flamenco show, try traditional Spanish food and learn about the historical significance of these events.

New Teachers to the Music Department 

Joe Alfano

Concordia College and music education 

Not always, but in school I had amazing teachers that shared their passion for learning. I started to realize that this was something I wanted to pursue. 

The community and the opportunity for students to find a home with the music department. 

Have fun but also be prepared each day to try your best. 

Ronaldo Petoral

Berklee College of Music and Manhattanville College – MAT

No. I love learning different kinds of musical instruments from different parts of the world. Then I realized, it is not gonna benefit me knowing how to play all these instruments for myself. That changed my mind. Now I would like to share everything that I know & Learned about music, and musical instruments to everybody who is interested to learn.

Close to my new home in Bethel, CT. That way I can spend more time with my family.

Be present, be prepared and my CPR – cooperate, participate, respect.

Play different kinds of music with the whole class.

New Teachers to the Special Education Department 

Joseph Redendo

I attended Mount Saint Mary in New York as an adolescent special education and social studies teacher. 

Yes I always wanted to be a teacher. 

I chose DHS because it is a growing population where I feel I can make an impact on students as people and learners. 

Be on time, do your best, and be respectful. 

I want to do a mock trial.