Teacher shortage results in lower reading and math scores

For several years now, since COVID-19, teachers have decided to resign from their teaching positions. The educational program Hey tutor.com reports, “Educators surveyed were likely to retire or leave their jobs early because of the pandemic.” This impact has significantly affected our students’ education, as the decrease in teachers has led to a notable decline in student academic achievements. As more teachers continue to leave, more students struggle academically. Examining some general statistics, the education program Hey tutor.com says, “Both reading and math scores dropped significantly in the U.S. after COVID-19.” This is not the decline we, as a school, are hoping to see. We should focus our efforts on hiring quality teachers willing to benefit our students academically.

As we know, reading scores are dropping nationwide. Mr. Coletti, an English teacher at DHS, speaks about the “learning loss” that underscores the year students lost due to the pandemic. He understands the loss students experienced in 2020 and recognizes its detrimental impact on students’ education. As a result of this loss, it became clear to him that there has been a decrease in students’ STAR reading scores, especially among seniors. This raises concerns about the impact it will have on their future. This decrease in seniors’ scores affects many aspects of their lives, including the significance of their college applications. Although this issue does not affect all seniors, it is still quite common, as seen in statistics from the National Center for Educational Statics: “In every year from 2010 to 2021, higher percentages of high school completers immediately enrolled in 4-year institutions than in 2-year institutions. In 2021, a lower percentage of high school graduates immediately enrolled in 4-year institutions than in 2-year institutions.” This data illustrates the consequences of COVID-19 and the continuing national impact. Addressing this massive issue is something our school must prioritize.

To solve this ongoing issue, Mr. Coletti has shared several tips for teachers and parents. He recommends that “students read at least 20 minutes every day.” Whether it’s reading short articles on their phones or opening a book and reading a few pages, it’s an achievable goal that can improve students’ reading skills and contribute to better grades. Enforcing these simple tasks should be a shared responsibility of parents and teachers.

After reading the earlier parts of this article, it becomes clear how significant the impact of teachers is on students. As a school, we need to continue finding ways to address the teacher shortage issue, which will benefit many individuals’ lives, including our fellow students, leading to a positive impact on our school’s needs.