Peer Leadership Fun Flexes are underway

Peer Leadership consists of two selected classes of seniors based on their social skills, extracurricular activities, and GPA. Students undergo interviews at the end of their junior year to see how well they can socially contribute to their peers while focusing on properly representing ethics at Danbury High School. 

Peer Leaders work together to plan and execute activities around the school and local community. The Peer Leaders are responsible for an ongoing activity called “Fun Flex.” The activities that can be completed during Fun Flex range from small crafts to food making and decorating to physical activities. This year’s activities have just begun and have been a big success. 

Though these activities run in a short 30-minute period, they are prepared weeks in advance. The flexes are created by small groups of students who create a detailed lesson plan and purchase all necessary products beforehand. They later advertise their activity by creating an ad for the bulletin in the front of the school. 

Mr. Hares’ class held a Cookie-Decorating Fun Flex earlier this week, and everyone was raving about it. Seniors Gabriella Brown, Amelia Espinal, and Cameron Perkins conducted this activity.  They were shocked at the multitude, “I think there were 30 people,” said Brown. Their activity aimed to give students an outlet to de-stress, especially with quarter one just ending. Students could collaborate with multiple grade levels and form connections, which is often difficult in such a large school. 

Another Fun Flex took place with a different group of students in Mrs. Spiridon’s class. Haley Merrill, Brian Walsh, and Jady Moreno planned a Candy Turkey Hand Flex returning from the holiday weekend. This flex was once again a big success and a fun way to ease back into school after having some days off. This fun flex “was a fun way to spend time with friends before her test,” said Lauren Philbin, Class of 2024. 

To join the fun, make sure to check the bulletin board in the front of the school and schedule Spiridon and Hare under business in Enriching Students. 

View Comments (1)