Breaking News

Out-of-state field trips – why are they restricted and who is this affecting?

Recent events have resulted in the cancellation of some field trips outside of the state due to ongoing tensions in the Middle East. The decision was made due to worries about the security and safety of students visiting foreign countries and outside domains during a time of increased geopolitical conflict and rising hate crimes across the US. During this time of elevated tensions, DHS is putting its students’ safety first and choosing to be cautious. DHS assistant principal, Mr. Marrero, has made it clear that any out-of-state field trips “have to be approved by the district a month in advance and it depends on where the field trip is.”

This is mainly proving to be an issue for the DHS language teachers, as field trips that take place out of the country are a common custom for their classes. Marrero stated that “no out-of-country field trips will be approved or sponsored by the district at this time,” erasing any hopes for French-learning students to take a trip to Europe, for example, this school year.

Another issue that arose with the out-of-state ban was the worry placed on the Class of 2024 and their Senior Trip. Traditionally, the school has taken their seniors to Six Flags every year, which is in Massachusetts. Students and their officers were worried for a moment that they might have to take the class elsewhere because Six Flags would not be approved. Alas, there is not much to offer in CT, besides parks such as Quassy or camps like Holiday Springs. There is uncertainty about how long this ban will last, but it is predicted that it will affect the entire 2023-2024 school year. Senior Hannah Poklemba said, “If [they] don’t go to Six Flags [she would] be very upset because it is a fun place to go with friends and it’s not too far away.” Many students of the graduating class held similar feelings regarding the matter and felt as though they would be held back in their high school experience if the restrictions affected the tradition.

Luckily though, Mr. Marrero has let us know that the “Senior trip has been approved by the district already,” and that there should be no worries regarding the Six Flags visit. As for other classes and curriculums, only time will tell how they adapt to these regulations.