Danbury High School students step out of the classroom through fundraisers

As the semester comes to a close, students all over Danbury High School celebrate their academic achievements in the classroom this first semester, but also outside the classroom. There have been various student organizations and clubs that have carried out fundraisers to help those in need. Danbury High School constantly encourages students to make a change in the community, whether it’s through classes, clubs, or events. Some of the most recent charity fundraisers include the Pulsera Project and the Dorothy Day Food Drive.

The Pulsera Project was an annual fundraiser run by the National Spanish Honor Society to raise money for communities in Nicaragua. In each lunchwave, a group of students from the society sat at a table with posters selling handmade bracelets and handmade purses. These bracelets were handmade in Nicaragua; each bracelet came with a tag with the picture, name, and signature of the person who made the bracelet. Treasurer Kevin Furtado said that “the bracelets mean so much more to the families in Nicaragua”’ and that it is “cool to make a difference and help people who live halfway around the world”. The money made off the sold bracelets, along with the leftover bracelets, will later be sent back to Nicaragua. This fundraiser not only spreads cultural awareness within the community of Danbury High School but also financially helps the community in Nicaragua. The fundraiser was beyond successful, selling over 100 bracelets.  

Another fundraiser that was carried out this semester was the canned food drive for Dorothy Day. While researching for her Capstone project, Joselin Chimbo, a senior at DHS, “realized how many charities are in need” and, along with her group, “decided to call Dorothy Day Hospitality House and ask them what they needed.” After seeing the demand, Joselin and her group decided to put out boxes around the school where people could donate cans and other non-perishable items. The drive was advertised around the school using flyers. This specific  fundraiser had far more meaning than just a project for a class grade. This fundraiser reminded her of “when [her] parents had just arrived here, they didn’t have much support,” Joselin said, which was the main reason she wanted to help those in need. This fundraiser was also very successful, filling up multiple boxes with cans and other goods donated by students and faculty. 

Clubs and organizations continue to grow at Danbury High School and encourage their students to get involved. DHS celebrates that students have been successful both inside and outside the classroom, leaving a mark on the communities around them. Cheers to a new semester full of academic success and successful fundraisers!