Class of 2024: preparing for their new lives

The class of 2024’s graduation is quickly sneaking up on them. With the school year already in the second semester, it is time for seniors to start preparing for what’s to come next year, whether that means going on college tours, finding a roommate, or applying for jobs. This can be a very stressful time for these students, raising many questions about their thought processes at this time.

Senior Mathew Morehouse is committed to Westfield State University for the baseball team. He is “definitely a little nervous” for next year and concerned about “getting to know people.” This is a common emotion seniors feel as they take off for college. It is a huge change in their lives, moving away from family and friends and getting familiar with an entirely new setting and people. Though he is nervous, he is looking forward to playing college baseball.

Senior Cate Mullin has a much different, more relatable take on the big change coming for the class of 2024. Cate is not committed to a college yet and is feeling “both excited and nervous about graduation. I’m very very nervous about leaving the people I know.” The two seniors can relate to this. From kindergarten through twelfth grade, students have been surrounded by the same classmates, creating strong friendships. This can be super scary and sad to leave behind. Cate is apprehensive about finding people to connect with. “I want my friendships in college to be like the ones I have now.” Though these can be nerve-wracking times, she is looking forward to “a new environment, new classes, and more independence.”

Being nervous about college is definitely something that all seniors can relate to. It is a huge, life-altering experience. Luckily, DHS prepares its students well, and these seniors will have no problem keeping up with their classes. Hopefully, they will find new friends and relationships along the way. This is a very exciting time in the class of 2024’s lives; their futures await, and they are going to do great things!