Chiefs successfully defend their title as Super Bowl Champions

Well, it seems like the Chiefs’ kingdom has yet to crumble.

Sunday’s Super Bowl game held in Allegiant Stadium in Las Vegas, Nevada, ended with a score of 22-25, with the Kansas City Chiefs taking home the Lombardi Trophy for the third time in five years. The Chiefs were the reigning Super Bowl Champions since they beat the Eagles in the 2023 Super Bowl. In contrast, the San Francisco 49ers have not been Super Bowl champions since 1994. Much media coverage was about the matchup between the teams’ respective quarterbacks, Patrick Mahomes and Brock Purdy. Purdy, only in his second season as an NFL quarterback, came in as the underdog. Mahomes had two NFL championships under his belt already. 

While the 49ers didn’t come out on top, they still had some impressive plays, with Defensive End Chase Young, starting the first quarter with a sack against Mahomes. This is Young’s first Super Bowl appearance. While 49ers Placekicker Jake Moody gave the 49ers an up during overtime with a 27-yard field goal on the first possession, counting out Mahomes and Wide Receiver Travis Kelce would be a mistake, as the two both carried their team, with Mahomes throwing a 75-yard drive to a 3-yard touchdown pass, scoring the touchdown. Kelce also had 9 receptions during the entire game on 10 targets. 

When asking an avid football fan, Michael Moore, who he thought would win, he said he thought “Kansas City would win.” This prediction comes from the “elite… Hall of Fame caliber quarterback in Mahomes.” He continued to describe how the 49ers played, adding how [he] was surprised San Francisco’s defense was able to stifle Mahomes and Kansas City in the first half… [He] thought the first half would have more points.” Many disagreed with Moore, as the 49ers held a 59% majority, according to ESPN. Ultimately, the Chiefs came back to defend their title. 

With the Superbowl, of course, comes the annual halftime show this year, with Usher headlining. With guests such as Alicia Keys, H.E.R, Lil Jon, Ludacris, Will.i.am, and Jermaine Dupri, it was a show-stopping performance. Reba McEntire sang the National Anthem to start the night. For some viewers, the main question of the night was whether Taylor Swift would make it to the big game, which she did. She attended with Blake Lively and Ice Spice. With the completion of Super Bowl LVIII, the stadium that will hold Super Bowl LIX was one of the top Google searches by the end of the night. Super Bowl LIX will be held in the Caesars Superdome in New Orleans, Louisiana, on February 9th, 2025. Looking into the 2024 NFL season, the Chiefs will be looking to defend their title. The final question of the night is: Will Mahomes be the next Brady?