U.S. gun control reflects on Kansas City Chiefs celebratory parade

What was supposed to be a celebration of back-to-back Super Bowl wins for the Kansas City Chiefs, turned into a tragic event for the entire country. 

At 11 AM, February 14th, a celebratory parade in honor of The Chiefs Super Bowl win began. Fans were spread all throughout downtown Kansas City, gathering near Union Station. The parade took place, fans cheered, everyone was having fun. The team came out to show support for the fans, even giving them high-fives and singing songs with them

The parade went on for hours until the fun came to an abrupt ending. Shots were fired at 2:00 p.m. injuring 22 people, killing one. This day filled with fun and celebration turned into such a tragedy for not only Kansas City, but the entire Nation. With 11 of the victims being children, society urgently needs to reflect on its gun violence control.

As of right now, only one victim has passed. Lisa Lopez-Galvan, mother of two young children. Though she is the only one who lost her life yesterday, at least eight of the victims are in critical condition right now. 

The Kansas City Chiefs are devastated by this event, “We are truly saddened by the senseless act of violence that occurred outside of Union Station at the conclusion of today’s parade and rally. Our hearts go out to the victims, their families, and all of Kansas City.”

In no world should a fun day at a Super Bowl celebration end in death. Chiefs fan Isabella Amendola has strong feelings regarding yesterday’s events, “it was a very heartbreaking, and tragic event. A celebratory parade turned to shooting is something that should never happen and I feel very deeply for the person who lost their life because they were there to celebrate the winning of their team.”

Though this should be a wake-up call for the U.S., it is doubtful that any change toward gun control will come from this. Tragic shootings seem to keep happening, and nothing is changing. How many deaths is it going to take to make a change? Joyful events ending in gun-caused death are becoming too common in the U.S. and it is time to fix it.