University of Pennsylvania introduces revolutionary AI Degree

Artificial intelligence continues to grow as it becomes one of the biggest tools that have been introduced to modern society. With this comes continued interest from young individuals who want to take advantage of a new opportunity. The University of Pennsylvania has officially launched a new degree program dedicated to artificial intelligence to cater to those interested in AI. This new academic path promises to help students develop the skills of a rapidly growing field.

UPenn, a prestigious Ivy League school in Philadelphia, known for its rigor and prestige, is the first of its kind with such a program. “This new degree program represents a leap forward for the Penn engineers who will lead in developing and deploying these powerful technologies in service to humanity,” Penn Interim President J. Larry Jameson said in a statement. Penn’s School of Engineering and Applied Science has proven its immense commitment to giving students a quality education in AI.

Students, prospective and current, can expect high-level classes at one of the best engineering schools in the nation. Topics include machine learning, computing algorithms, data analytics, and more. Students are to “develop a sense of the issues (and solutions) required to responsibly develop AI to benefit society,” Penn states on their Artificial Intelligence website. More programs are to be available in the future. This comprehensive approach makes sure that students gain a well-rounded understanding of AI and its applications.

Penn is the first school to offer a degree in artificial intelligence under an engineering program. Existing programs, such as those at Carnegie Mellon University, have a program strictly for AI computing. There are two different approaches to the same profession. Other top schools, such as MIT and Stanford, have also introduced AI degrees but have them strictly as online courses. Penn will offer hands-on research compared to the others. 

The University of Pennsylvania’s new degree is a significant milestone in the future of artificial intelligence. For students passionate about technology and eager to make a difference, this program offers the first step for many future projects and life-changing advancements.