Breaking News

An Analysis of Kendrick Lamar’s Introspective “Auntie Diaries”

The Fifteenth Track on Mr. Morale & the Big Steppers
Kendrick Lamar’s fifth studio album: Mr. Morale & The Big Steppers

The fifteenth track on Mr. Morale & the Big Steppers and the sixth track on the album’s second half, “Auntie Diaries” by Kendrick Lamar, is a sophisticated and evocative song that examines issues of gender, identity, and sexuality in the setting of a Black American household. Lamar narrates the song himself, sharing his early recollections of being around his transgender aunt. Lamar depicts the difficulties and prejudice his aunt experienced on a daily basis in his songs, which are open and unapologetic.

OVERALL:

One of the most striking aspects of “Auntie Diaries” is the way in which Lamar challenges traditional notions of masculinity and femininity. Lamar’s aunt is a complex and multifaceted character who does not fit neatly into any one category. He is both strong and vulnerable, feminine and masculine, all at the same time. Through his depiction of his aunt, Lamar challenges the audience to rethink their own assumptions about what it means to be a man or a woman.

The way Lamar questions conventional ideas of masculinity and femininity is one of the song’s most stunning elements. Lamar’s aunt defies easy categorization since he is a complicated, multidimensional person. He is simultaneously feminine and masculine, forceful and fragile. Lamar asks the audience to reconsider their preconceived notions by using his portrayal of his aunt.

“Auntie Diaries” also explores the issue of familial acceptance. Notwithstanding the fact that Lamar’s aunt defies gender norms, his family loves and accepts him. This is a strong message of optimism and resiliency, particularly relatable for individuals who defy any kind of current social norms.

Kendrick Lamar Explains Concept Behind Album Cover
“That photo says so much about my life and how I was raised in Compton, and the things I’ve seen just through them innocent eyes,” he said. “You don’t see nobody else’s eyes, but you see my eyes of innocence and trying to figure out what is going on.” – Lamar on debut album: good kid, m.A.A.d city

MUSIC:

“Auntie Diaries” is not only a richly conceptual song, but it is also masterfully composed musically. Lamar writes beautiful, poignant lyrics with an easy-to-follow cadence. The song’s production is equally excellent, including a rich and atmospheric soundtrack that flawlessly accentuates Kendrick Lamar’s voice.

All things considered, “Auntie Diaries” is a brilliant song that is very moving and thought-provoking. Lamar tackles nuanced topics in his open-minded and honest lyrics. The song’s musical arrangement is exquisite, including a sumptuous and evocative background.

STRUCTURE:

The song “Auntie Diaries” consists of three verses and a chorus. Although the song’s structure is straightforward, Lamar makes good use of it. Lamar’s aunt’s narrative is told in the lyrics, and his experiences are powerfully and emotionally commented upon in the chorus.

Lamar starts the first stanza by detailing his aunt’s physical attributes. He has male traits mixed in with his feminine beauty, he observes. The audience’s preconceptions of what it means to be a woman are instantly called into question by this depiction.

Lamar continues in the second stanza to talk about his aunt’s struggles as a transgender child. He talks about how his aunt was frequently the victim of assault and how Lamar’s peers discriminated against him. Lamar continues depicting the discrimination his aunt endured in great detail throughout the song.

The song’s third verse is the most intimate and sentimental. Lamar begins to shift more into the introspective limelight; and his experience learning about acceptance, love, and rap from his aunt. He also discusses how his aunt encouraged him to always be himself. This lyric is an illustration of the value of familial bonds and the ability of love to triumph over all challenges.

The chorus of “Auntie Diaries” is a reflection on the lives of minority individuals. Lamar sings on the prejudice and misinterpretation that intersectional individuals face on a daily basis. He also sings about the value of accepting and loving oneself. For all people, the chorus offers a message of perseverance and optimism.

ELEMENTS: 

Kendrick Lamar’s “Auntie Diaries” is full of lyrical gems, and it is difficult to choose just a few. However, the following lines are particularly striking:

• “My auntie is a man now / And I can’t explain it to my momma, ’cause it’s hard enough on her.” These lines establish the central conflict of the song: the speaker’s aunt has transitioned to male, and the speaker is struggling to understand and accept this change. The speaker also recognizes that the transition is difficult on his mother, which adds to their own feelings of confusion and guilt.
  • “He’s living his truth, even though it’s colder than winter.” This line is a powerful metaphor for the challenges that transgender people face. The speaker suggests that living one’s truth as a transgender person can be difficult and isolating, but it is ultimately necessary.
  • “And I can’t tell nobody else, ’cause I’m scared / Of what they might think, of what they might say.” This line reveals the speaker’s own fear and shame surrounding their aunt’s transition. The speaker is afraid of how others will react if they learn the truth, which prevents them from seeking support from others.

Lamar crafts a brilliant melody in “Auntie Diaries” by combining rhyme, rhythm, and poetic tropes. A straightforward AABB rhyme system is used in the chorus of the song to give it a sense of regularity and predictability. This serves to highlight the song’s theme, which is that transgender people are deserving of respect and equal acknowledgement as fellow human beings. The song’s verses provide a sense of fluidity and movement because of the more intricate ABAB rhyme structure. This advances the plot and maintains the listener’s interest.

A Desolate Cottage with light emitting from it snowed | Stable Diffusion | OpenArt
A Desolate Winter | OpenArt

Additionally, Lamar employs a number of literary tropes in “Auntie Diaries,” including personification, metaphor, and assonance. The metaphor that he uses to compare his aunt’s life to winter is especially significant since it emphasizes the difficulties that transgender people have. The personification of his aunt’s truth implies that he needs to defend it like a living entity. The significance of being genuine and expressing oneself is emphasized by this personification. Finally, rhythm and flow are created in the sentence “He’s living his truth, even though it’s colder than winter” by Lamar through the use of assonance.

The statement “the day I chose humanity over religion” represents the pinnacle of Kendrick Lamar’s quest for acceptance and self-discovery. He talks about how he battled both the outward transphobia he saw in the world and his own internalized transphobia in the song. 

In addition, he discusses his feelings of shame and remorse for not being able to embrace his aunt for who he was. But at the song’s conclusion, Lamar has arrived to a place of love and acceptance. 

He’s come to the conclusion that his aunt’s contentment and wellbeing matter more to him than any dogma. Additionally, he has made the decision to reject the preacher’s and others’ prejudiced beliefs, which use religion as a justification for bigotry and hatred.

The Story Behind Kendrick Lamar's Crown Of (Tiffany & Co.) Thorns | British Vogue
“Imperfection is beautiful,” [Lamar] said, adding that he wears his crown of thorns as a reminder: “They judge you.”

Kendrick Lamar makes his point more strongly and meaningfully throughout “Auntie Diaries” by using repetition. To accentuate his rationale and develop a sense of urgency, he frequently uses the same words, phrases, and sometimes whole sentences.

In the song, the chorus repeatedly states, “My auntie is a man now / And I can’t explain it to my momma, ’cause it’s hard enough on her.” This is one of the most noteworthy instances of repetition in the song. The speaker’s difficulty comprehending and accepting their aunt’s shift is shown by this repetition. It also emphasizes how transphobia may affect families.

Lamar also emphasizes the difficulties faced by transgender people via repetition. He often uses expressions such as “living his truth” to highlight the value of being genuine and expressing oneself. Additionally, he says “I’m scared” again to express the anxiety and worry that a lot of transgender people feel.

Throughout the song, Lamar not only repeats words and phrases but even full sections. He says, for instance, “I chose humanity over religion” twice: once during the chorus and once at the conclusion of the song. The significance of love and acceptance is emphasized by this repetition. Lamar’s use of repetition is effective because it helps to create a sense of momentum and urgency in the song. It also helps to emphasize his key points and make his message more memorable.

Here are some specific examples of how Lamar uses repetition to make his message more powerful and meaningful:

• Chorus: “My auntie is a man now / And I can’t explain it to my momma, ’cause it’s hard enough on her.”
  • Verse 1: “He’s living his truth, even though it’s colder than winter.”
  • Verse 2: “I’m scared / Of what they might think, of what they might say.”
  • Chorus: “My auntie is a man now / And I can’t explain it to my momma, ’cause it’s hard enough on her.
  • Verse 3: “The day I chose humanity over religion.

Lamar’s repetition of these words and phrases helps to emphasize the central themes of the song, and the importance of being true to oneself.

All things considered, “Auntie Diaries” by Kendrick Lamar is a masterfully composed song. Lamar’s use of rhythm, rhyme, and poetic devices is adept, and his lyrics are moving. The song is an excellent portrayal of the value of self-love and family acceptance.

CONCLUSION: 

Kendrick Lamar’s “Auntie Diaries” is a song that is both thought-provoking and emotionally resonant. Lamar’s lyrics are honest and unflinching, as he explores complex themes of sexuality, gender, and identity. The song is also beautifully crafted from a musical standpoint, with a lush and atmospheric soundscape that perfectly complements Lamar’s vocals. “Auntie Diaries” is a must-listen for anyone who cares about current social struggles and the power of music to emancipate the world.

Kendrick Lamar - YouTube
The Emancipation of Kendrick Lamar | Complex
View Comments (6)