Breaking News

Spring sports marks the end of the 2023-2024 school year

@ChipSalvestrini

Spring sports mark the end of each year. Spring sports such as baseball, boys volleyball, tennis, softball, and many more kick off in March. The start of each of these sports is the marking period for everything coming to an end. With spring sports come SAT’s for juniors, AP exams, both junior and senior prom, as well as the last senior nights of the 2023-2024 school year, and of course, sending our seniors off at graduation. 

For our class of 2024, it’s all coming to an end. They’ve had a hectic high school experience starting freshman year online with Covid-19, but they made it through. For many seniors this last quarter comes with a lot. Between planning senior prom, taking their AP exams, and preparing themselves for graduation, these seniors are paving the way for their success and an end to their high school career. These last few months are stressful for all, but more so for our seniors. Aside from their last high school endeavors, they have to begin looking for roommates, thinking about college courses, planning their dorm rooms, and preparing to take the next step in their lives. Senior at Danbury High School, Ionnais Rountos says, “It’s really bittersweet. When I was a freshman I couldn’t wait to graduate and go off to college but now that senior year is coming to an end and I am graduating soon, makes me realize my time here has flown by and I’m very grateful for all of the people and experiences that have shaped who I am.”

The start or end of each sports season establishes a marking period for the school year. With the football season coming to an end, we are nearly halfway through the year. The start of winter sports marks the beginning of the toughest part of the year, with little time for rest. Spring sports signal the end of it all. Spring sports start off in March, as does SAT testing. Then comes April, with the sale of prom tickets and spring break. May feels like it’s over, but it isn’t. We have proms for juniors and seniors, as well as AP exams. Finally, we have our final senior nights of the 2023-2024 school year, and our seniors will leave us earlier than the rest with graduation. 

As the school year comes to a close, the excitement for summer break grows. In the words of Tara Fagan, “Spring sports signal the blossoming end of the school year, where the spirit of competition meets warmer days ahead.” With the excitement of “warmer days” and graduation, the end of the school year appears to be approaching quickly. It’s a bittersweet time as we say goodbye to our seniors, the school year, and the new chapter. 

Danbury High School offers a variety of spring sports, including baseball softball, girls golf, boys volleyball, boys and girls tennis, lacrosse, and outdoor track. For tryout information, contact coaches, managers, players, or visit the Danbury High School website and Instagram. To try out for any sport, you must have an up-to-date physical and family ID.