‘Latino Night’ to celebrate Hispanic heritage

Members+of+Latino+Club+show+pride+for+their+native+land+or+where+their+ancestors+are+from.+

Photo courtesy of Jose Rojas

Members of Latino Club show pride for their native land or where their ancestors are from.

Natalie Ceciliano, Features Editor

In hopes of helping Latino students and families feel more at home on the DHS campus, the Latino Club is hosting a “Latino Night” on April 11 in the cafeteria.

Latino Club is an organization that Jose Rojas, history teacher, founded about two years ago to promote Hispanic heritage, diversity and culture.

“We want to increase the sense of belonging, and participation for Hispanic students and Danbury High, we want them to do extra curricular activities, and we want them to meet together to share their culture, and heritage,” said Rojas, who is from Colombia and has taught for 25 years, the past seven at DHS in the Social Studies Department.

On April 11, the club wiill host a night of many activities in the cafeteria from 6:30 p.m. to 9 p.m. On that night they hope to create awareness for the cultures of all these Latin countries.

“We hope to help spread the Latino culture to those part of the Danbury High School community as well as the City of Danbury as a whole, ” said senior Michael Pesantez, club president.

Pesantez will give the introductory speech, which will lead to the flag parade. The night will continue with many activities including learning history about Latin countries. Latin dance, including Dominican Bachata, Colombian Cumbia, and Ecuadorian Folk Dance, is also on tap. A parade of traditional clothing from Latin countries will then go into a party to conclude the night.

“Our club has been preparing for this night in anticipation for the past four months. We have put many hours of thought into what will be done that night,” Pesantez said.

Besides planning for the event, club meetings are used as a chance for members to hear from the Danbury community. Recently a representative from Connecticut For A Dream gave advice to the club on how to apply to college.

“In Latino Club we have a weekly agenda and we do many activities,” Rojas said. “The students enjoy talking about their daily life, sometimes we dance, watch movies. Students show their talents as well. We want them to do activities and talk about what they have in common so that they feel like they really belong to the high school.”

Latino Club was created to help students feel like they could connect with others and so that students could feel a sense of belonging. It was created so that students can better understand the culture of Latin countries, and help create awareness of it all.

“Latino Club has a very special place in my heart,” Pesantez said. “Being a first-year member and the president, it has really helped me learn of my Spanish roots. The club has helped me understand my culture. Throughout this year I have learned to be a better leader. This club is full of young and smart individuals who all have the desire and drive to succeed.”

unnamed-1