NYC educators share their experiences

Corinne Philbin, staff writer

Ada Fernandez McGuire and Nydia Goyares know what it feels like to be a refugee from another country.

Both are natives of Cuba and both with their families escaped Castro’s communist regime — Goyares in 1963 and McGuire in 1969.

Coincidentally, they were both 11 years old at the time of entering the U.S. It was a frightening time because their families had to find a place to live, their parents had to find jobs, and the two girls had to try to learn in unfamiliar schools without speaking English.

““For me, it was very difficult.” Goyares said. “I came to this country and it was either sink or swim. Learning English was very, very hard for me.”

The two women recently shared inspiring stories of their journeys to becoming successful figures in education in Queens with Linda Mitten’s Early Childhood Workshop class. They both always enjoyed working with children and excelled in school in Cuba. Coming to America, however, was a whole new challenge.

McGuire detailed how her family came to live with her aunt in a single room, with not a penny to her parents’ name. They had to start a new life in New York.  

“You went to school, with no ESL, no bilingual, nothing. You either understood what was being said or you didn’t,” she said.

This is Mitten’s first year teaching the Early Childhood Workshop class. She said that inviting McGuire and Goyares, who are both retired and now visit classrooms to share their stories, would be an excellent opportunity for her students.

“We are exploring different people and their paths to the classroom,” Mitten said. “Their stories are inspirational for all students who are immigrants here, or who want to pursue a career in education.”

Their talk to the class was well timed, considering the recent debate concerning allowing the Syrian refugees into the United States.

They both enjoyed great success despite the hardships, with Goyares teaching for 30 years and McGuire becoming a teacher and later a principal. They incorporated both Spanish and English into their teaching, knowing first-hand how difficult it is for Spanish-speaking students.

“Feeling what they are feeling and making them as comfortable as possible is important. You have to give them time to adjust because that’s what I needed when I came,” McGuire said.

Goyares detailed that the way Spanish-speaking students are treated is much better than when she was young.

“Luckily, things have changed from years ago to now. A lot of the teachers that teach in the city today are used to kids who speak many different languages. The most important thing is to understand that they’re going through an adjustment period,” she said.

Mitten’s students said the presentation was inspirational and motivational, especially since many of them are planning to become educators.

“It was inspiring because it connected to what I’m doing now and has influenced my choices in my teaching,” said senior Hailey Posmantier.

Senior Rose Schewe agreed.

“It was encouraging for those of us who experienced difficulties,” she said, “because they experienced difficulties but still succeeded.”